Expanded Cinema in 2020 by Sahar Homami
Saturday / 28th of September 2019 / 10:00 - 18:00 Uhr
Gene Youngblood argued in his book Expanded Cinema (1970) that a new, expanded cinema is required for a new consciousness. Youngblood defined the technosphere as a symbiosis between human and machine. He foresaw a future where creativity will be shared between human and machine and pointed to the links between computer art and conceptualism. Today, it is almost 50 years since early experiments using computers to draw and make films. In Expanded Cinema in 2020, we will focus on understanding realtime and generative storytelling, explore non-narrative/non-figurative forms and dive into creative content creation. In this introductory workshop, the participants will be guided through basic theories and concepts of generative visual creation, along with an in-depth look at how to set up such a project and workflow in Touchdesigner. Various step-by-step examples that you can build upon and the essentials of working with TouchDesigner to begin your own projects.TouchDesigner is a platform for the development of generative, interactive, programmed and performative content. It has made interactive programming accessible to artists and designers that have no background in programming languages.
In this introductory workshop, the participants will be guided through basic theories and concepts of generative visual creation, along with an in-depth look at how to set up such a project and workflow in Touchdesigner. Various step-by-step examples that you can build upon and the essentials of working with TouchDesigner to begin your own projects.
In this workshop you will learn:
- A brief look at the history of expanded cinema and its pioneers
- Introduction to generative art
- Learn to use the Touchdesigner interface
- Learn the tools families
- Generative textures
- Introduction to noise (2D and 3D)
- Realtime 3d rendering
- Audio-reactive 2D/3D animations
- Perform exercises and small projects
- Further resources
● Skill Level: Beginner
- an introductory course for artists, performers, architects, designers, and enthusiasts to know more about visualprogrammingThis workshop highly encourages the attendance of women, queers, people of color and gender non-conforming folks who have no prior experience with visual programming but want to learn more about it.
● Early Bird sale will end on September 22 midnight. You can apply for the low income/student (below 21) rate which is: 85 euros incl.19% VAT(Please contact email@example.com directly with proof of age, study or low income)Requirements
● Laptop and a 3-button mouse (Laptop Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 and up / Apple macOS 10.11 and up.)
● The latest release of TouchDesigner099 installed - available for free on https://www.derivative.ca/099/Downloads/
Sahar Homami [IR-CA] is a visual artist/programmer and calligrapher from Tehran, based in Berlin since 2015. Her projects are inspired by ongoing research on the intersection of art, technology, philosophy, and mysticism. She constructs narratives of abstract and transforming heterotopias (spaces of otherness). Her new media work is focused on creating narratives through immersive multimedia experiences, generated in real-time. With her imagery, she aims to push the boundaries of perception and consciousness, to expand our art of seeing. Her work has been presented in various festivals and exhibitions such as Summerworks and Nuit Blanche in Canada, as well as Berlin Music Video Awards and Generate!_lab in Germany.