Custom OPs built in C++ are one of the best ways to reach the net level in your TouchDesigner practice. Learn it in 2 days intensive course
You have mastered the basic tools of TouchDesigner and are now ready to take this powerful development environment to the next level by creating your own toolset.
Custom OPs built in C++ are one of the best ways to reach the next level in your TouchDesigner practice.
- Workshop will be held Online.
- 1 day before the event you will receive the Streaming link and invitation to the chatroom.
- Next day after the session, you will get the Video-recordings and the project files.
In this workshop you will learn:
- how to set up your development environment in the right way in order to start compiling your own OPs
- how to use multi-threading to completely separate your different processes
- the theory behind compiling your own DLL
- the basics of custom CHOPs, custom TOPs and custom SOPs
- how to work with different C++ libraries with TouchDesigner
- Advanced Knowledge of TouchDesigner
- Previous C++ development experience
- Object-oriented programming notions
- Windows OS Prefered (we will be using Visual Studio IDE)
About the teacher:
Hugo Laliberté is a creative programmer in the field of interactive and experiential digital art. He currently co-directs the Ottomata Montreal Experiential Studio, which specializes in the technical design of interactive installations and immersive works for the public space. Laliberté develops his works around the spectator and the capacity to act.
With a background in electrical engineering, advanced programming, and music, he began experimenting with interactive media in 2013 and obtained a Bachelor's Degree from the Université du Québec à Montréal. It was at this time that he co-founded his first artist collective with which he exhibited at the Chromatic Festival, the Society for Arts and Technology, the Livart Gallery, and the Jutra Awards Gala. His work has been featured across Canada, Dubai, Paris, Aix-en-Provence, UK and Tokyo.
1. Setting up the tools. Visual Studio settings and requirements
- Preparing your codebase
- Windows general settings
- DLL flashcourse
2. Compiling our first DLL
- Introduction to the DLL code structure in TouchDesigner
- Adding our custom parameters
- Modifying the basic behaviour
3. Creating our first own DLL part 1 of 2 (CHOP)
- Preparation flow (research and plan of action)
- Integrating custom libraries
- Working with object-oriented programming
4. Creating our first own DLL part 2 of 2 (CHOP)
- Completing the core object routine
- Working with multi-threading
- Finishing up the object
5. Exploring custom SOPs and TOPs
- Custom SOPs architecture and code exploration
- Modifying SOP with powerful C++ Libraries
- Custom TOPs architecture and code exploration
- Using OpenCV with custom TOP