TDSW will be hosting a TouchDesigner workshop titled Creative Techniques with Point Clouds and Depth Maps!
About this Event
We will welcome Richard Burns, an Interactive Developer from Rich & Miyu based in Tokyo. He will teach us how to obtain point clouds and work with those on TouchDesigner!
We just started our Patreon. You can watch all of our live streaming workshops with the TDSW Excellent plan for $35/month. Please give it some consideration if you are going to continue taking our workshops as we will have two online events per month.
This event will be held online via the Zoom webinar.
Find "Go to online event page" in order confirmation email via Eventbrite for the Zoom link.
The recording of this event is going to be shared with ticket holders via email within 5 days after the event.
8th August 2020 23:00-2:00 PDT
9th August 2020 2:00-5:00 EDT
9th August 2020 8:00-11:00 CEST
9th August 2020 15:00-18:00 JST
- We recommend you to join the webinar room at least 5 minutes prior to the workshop.
- We will open the room 30 minutes prior to the event. Please complete testing your computer or device audio before the workshop.
Knowledge of instancing and 3D is handy.
■ Registration fees
You will get access to the live stream and recording of the event.
- General live streaming & recording - 2,000 JPY + Service fee
- Student live streaming & recording - 1,000 JPY + Service fee
■ How to join the Zoom webinar
- Find "Go to online event page" in order confirmation email via Eventbrite for the Zoom link.
- You will receive sample files via an Eventbrite email 2 hours prior to the event that day.
- Please make sure you can receive an email from eventbrite.com.
■ Timetable (subject to change) time in JST
14:30 - 15:00 Open
15:00 - 15:10 Introduction
15:10 - 16:00 Workshop
18:00 - 16:10 Break
16:10 - 17:00 Workshop
17:00 - 17:10 Break
17:10 - 18:00 Workshop
18:00 - 18:10 Update from TDSW
18:10 - 18:20 Close
■ Contents (subject to change)
In this workshop, we’ll look at different methods for obtaining point clouds, how to bring those point clouds into TouchDesigner and different creative ways of working with them. We’ll look into how the free tool CloudCompare can help us process clouds for use in TouchDesigner and we’ll also look at how to work with the Kinect Azures point cloud.
■ About the instructor
Richard Burns | @rburnsanims
Richard Burns is an Interactive Developer based in Tokyo. He started his career at Pixel Artworks in London, mainly specializing in projection mapping before moving to Tokyo and founding Rich & Miyu with his wife Miyu. Rich & Miyu provide creative and technical consultancy services in both English and Japanese and work in the field of interactive design, art and research.
- A recent computer with the latest official TouchDesigner 099 installed and keyed (more information on installation and licenses here). If your computer is older please inquire if it will be appropriate for the workshop content.
- A 2-button mouse with scroll wheel), or 3 button mouse.
- Please consult the System Requirements to make sure your computer is capable of running TouchDesigner 099.
- Zoom account (register for the free account here)
- Download CloudCompare
- Azure Kinect if you have one, but the instructor would prep a depth map for people without it.
- No refund even if you leave the event earlier.
- The closing times may vary depending on how quickly we make progress.
- Photos, videos, and/or screenshots will be taken at this event. We will possibly share them via our social media accounts.
If you have any questions please contact us.
■ About the organizer
TDSW | Tokyo Developers Study Weekend is an organization that runs workshops/events aiming to share techniques and knowledge about digital creativity and networking among creators and manages a community with creative people. We have organized more than 50 events and had more than 2000 attendees in total since April 2018. We deliver exciting after-hours and weekends to creative people focusing on visual programming tools such as TouchDesigner.