Output to Multiple Monitors
Multiple monitors are also known as: second monitor, multi-monitors, right monitor, dual monitors, multi-display.
TouchDesigner can send video out to multiple projectors, monitors and recorders. TouchDesigner can run single-monitor or across many monitors.
All graphics cards now let you have two+ monitors. The easiest way to get video on 3 to 6 monitors is to use Geforce 680 GTX and up, Quadro 5000 and up, equivalent AMD Radeon cards, along Matrox DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go or Datapth X4 monitor expansion devices. With a DualHead2Go on each of the 2 video outs on the graphics card, you can get 4 monitors, and it looks like 2 double-wide monitors to Windows.
For Windows 7: On the Desktop background, rightclick -> Screen Resolution -> Multiple Displays -> Extend These Displays.
For Windows 8/10: On the Desktop background, rightclick -> Display Settings -> Multiple Displays -> Extend These Displays.
TouchDesigner will run fastest in Perform Mode if you combine all your panels into one canvas that spans across all your monitors. This can be done easily with Container COMPs, then by assigning this to the Window COMP that is set for Perform Mode in the Window Placement Dialog.
Example for two 1920x1080 monitors File:PerformMode Windows.toe
For macOS: System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement -> Mirror Displays = Off.
macOS 10.11 and 10.12 do not allow windows to span multiple monitors, so the workflow of one large perform panel used in Windows operating system is not applicable. For macOS the following is how to setup multiple monitors
- Create separate Window COMP for each monitor.
- Open first monitor using 'Open as Perform Mode'
- Open additional monitor Window COMPs using 'Open as Separate Window'
This can be accomplished with a small python script.
Example for two 1920x1080 monitors Media:PerformMode_macOS.toe
Additional Setup Tips
- Window Placement Dialog can be used to quickly assign Perform mode to different Window COMPs, and adjust parameters, jump to the network, and open/close the windows.
- Perform Mode can be turned On and Off with the Shortcut keys F1 (On) and Esc (Off).
- The Always on Top parameter in the Window COMP forces TouchDesigner to always be the top-most visible window.