macOS Version Supportedit
- macOS 10.12 or newer is required for current versions of TouchDesigner.
- macOS 10.11 can also be used on TouchDesigner builds 2019 and older. See Previous Official Builds
Differences with TouchDesigner on macOSedit
- In most cases where one would use the "ctrl" modifier key on Windows, macOS uses the "cmd" key.
- Common main menu items and macOS system wide shortcuts are respected where possible. For example, the location and keyboard shortcut for TouchDesigner Preferences... is 'macOS-like'.
- The scroll wheel actions are inverted compared to Windows (by default), but this can be set in macOS with System Preferences > Mouse > Scroll Direction: Natural
- TouchPlayer is distributed using a separate installer on macOS. Scroll down after following this link Download macOS TouchPlayer
- CodeMeter Runtime for USB Licensing Dongles is a separate installer on macOS. Download it here Download macOS CodeMeter
- You can use ctrl+c to interrupt Python scripts in macOS. Try it for hangs.
- You can run multiple builds of TouchDesigner easily on macOS by simply putting the TouchDesigner application in a different folder or by renaming the TouchDesigner.app file (so it doesn't overwrite the existing build).
Limitations and Known Issuesedit
- If using macOS Mojave or Catalina, make sure to apply all OS updates. The first versions (Mojave 10.14.0,10.14.1 and Catalina 10.15.0,10.14.1) have bugs that are not compatible with TouchDesigner. Mojave users must use 10.14.2 or higher, Catalina user must us 10.15.2 or higher.
- Nvidia specific features that use CUDA or Hardware Encoding/Decoding will not work. These include:
- If using a USB License Dongle, Codemeter version 6.80 contains bugs, please use the 7.00+ versions instead.
- Line MAT - Not functional on all GPUs on macOS.
- Line Width parameter on common page in Materials (MATs) has no effect.
- DMX Out CHOP - ENTTEC USB Pro not connecting automatically. To fix this, entering this command in the Terminal.
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI
- Geometry COMP - Texture Instancing is not currently supported by Apple's OpenGL drivers. (you can use 'Replace Texture' mode and offset textures using w, but the 'Instance Textures' and 'Texture Index' parameters are not supported)
- SymbolPicker doesn't render
Operators not supportededit
- DirectX TOPs - Microsoft SDK
- Kinect OPs / Kinect Azure OPs - Microsoft SDK
- NatNet CHOP - Windows only SDK
- Notch TOP - Windows only SDK
- Nvidia Flex OPs - Nvidia CUDA SDK
- Nvidia Flow OPs - Nvidia SDK
- Oculus Rift OPs - Windows only SDK
- OpenVR OPs - Windows only SDK
- Pangolin CHOP - Windows only SDK
- RealSense CHOP - Windows only SDK
- Scalable Display TOP - Windows only SDK
- SVG TOP - Nvidia SDK
- Video Stream Out TOP - Nvidia Hardware Encoding
- ZED TOP / ZED CHOP / ZED SOP - Windows only SDK
You can find the crash reports via Applications->Utilities->Console. The Crash reports will be under User Reports and named TouchDesigner_date-xxx.crash.