The Leap Motion Controller can be used as an input device to TouchDesigner.
The Leap Motion controller tracks hands and fingers in an area directly above the device. It offers low latency, precise tracking and recognizes a number of motions and gestures. The gestures are provided to TouchDesigner through the Leap Motion SDK. TouchDesigner's Leap Motion support will be extended as more features and improvements are added to the device's SDK.
Leap Motion Support in TouchDesigneredit
- Leap Motion hardware device
- Install the Leap Motion software availble here: www.leapmotion.com/setup
Ways to interact with Leap Motion in TouchDesigner
Leap Motion CHOP - will bring in sensor data from the LeapMotion controller as CHOP channels.
- Status channels - how many tracked and tracking channels for each tracked element
- Hand channels - position, type, and velocity
- Finger channels - position, rotation, size, is extended, and joints.
- Tool channels - position and size
- Pinch and Grab strength
- Circle - index, position, radius, progress
- Swipe - index, position, start position, speed
- Key Tap - index, position
- Screen Tap - index, position
Leap Motion TOP - will bring in image data from the Leap Motion image API.
- Ability to view camera 0 or camera 1. Use 2 Leap Motion TOPs to view both cameras.
- Some simple parameters to flip the images and enable Image Correction.
Tips for Working with Leap Motionedit
- For additional support and troubleshooting, refer to Leap Motion Support
Examples of Leap Motion with TouchDesigneredit
- Leap Laser Control - Each finger on both hands emit and control individual laser beams.
- Projection Mapping with Leap - Using Leap Motion as in input device to control projection mapped visuals.
- Glasspiel Interactive Installation - Video mapping on sculpture controlled by Leap Motion.
- Leap Motion Experiment - An interactive particle system experiment.
- Leap Lighting Experiment - Exploration of lighting in a 3D space controlled with Leap Motion.
- LED Strip - Momo The Monster hooks up an LED strip during hack night.
- Shuhei Matsuyama's Magic Table
- Shuhei Matsuyama's Digital Paintings