Operators are the "Nodes" in TouchDesigner networks, and they output data to other operators.
To add new operators to a network, use the OP Create Dialog. The OP Create Dialog can be opened by pressing the <tab> key, clicking the "+" button in the Pane Bar, selecting Add Operator from the right-click menu in any network, or by right-clicking on the input or output of another operator.
There are six Families of Operators. Of the six types there are five are base operator families and one family of Components. Components hold networks of other operators and are organized in a hierarchy.
- COMPs - Components - Panel components (2D UI gadgets), Object components (3D objects), and miscellaneous components.
- TOPs - Texture Operators - all 2D image operations.
- CHOPs - Channel Operators - motion, audio, animation, control signals.
- SOPs - Surface Operators - 3D points, polygons and other 3D "primitives".
- MATs - Material Operators - materials and shaders.
- DATs - Data Operators - ASCII as plain text, scripts, XML or tables.
Within each operator family, "generator" operators have 0 inputs and create data, and "filter" operators have 1 or more input and filter data.
Each operator family is a unique color. Only operators of the same family (color) can be wired together.
See next: Introduction to the OPs