Audio from unopened network plays and responds to input

So here’s what happened!

I have two sessions which run simultaneously. One of them only takes care of my midi controllers’ LEDs and pipes the button states to the other session using the touchout CHOP for it to render the audio and visuals.

Once I quit the audio/visual session, the audio kept playing and would still respond to midi commands until I shut down the midi interface session. Now, upon starting up the midi interface session again, the audio from the unopened session is still playing and responding to midi input. :astonished:

Weird!

The issue is resolved after re-booting the computer.

This is on windows 10 running 099 10700

ASIO drivers or DirectSound? Do you think you could email us an example of the file so we could reproduce this behavior?

Hi Ben,

This was using DirectSound drivers but there was a second audiodeviceout CHOP using asio which is used to send audio to my elgato screen capture device. I don’t think I had the elgato software running at the time but I did turn it on to record the bug:

youtu.be/pBQzV4w4cuc

In the video you can see that there aren’t any other Touch sessions open. I should’ve scrolled through the performance monitor but you’ll just have to take my word for it that all that audio stuff is usually in a whole other session/network haha.

I don’t think it’ll be a very easy bug to replicate but I’ll keep my eye on it if it happens again. I just thought it might be helpful to report this wacky behaviour in case it meant anything to anyone.

Hope you’re well!
Owen

That seems crazy, or somewhat impossible. Can you send us the project over email so we could try to reproduce it? Did you only see it once or you can reproduce it often?

Hi Ben,

I agree that it seems really nuts but that’s why I reported it even though it hasn’t been been an ongoing problem. I can send you the two files but I don’t expect it to be able to be reproduced. It’s only happened during one session in which at first, the audio session was terminated but the audio still played then, the midi session was terminated and restarted and the audio began to play without the audio session having been loaded.

I’ll send the files to your derivative e-mail.

Thanks,
Owen

Oh! Actually, now that I think about it I may have run into something similar last night although not quite as extreme. Some audio chops being sent to my audio device out CHOP (using DirectSound drivers) kept playing after having been disconnected and replaced by a new set of channels. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I am using two audiodeviceout CHOPs set to different drivers within my network.

Oh! Actually, now that I think about it I may have run into something similar last night although not quite as extreme. Some audio chops being sent to my audio device out CHOP (using DirectSound drivers) kept playing after having been disconnected and replaced by a new set of channels. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I am using two audiodeviceout CHOPs set to different drivers within my network.

You should be able to use multiple DirectSound devices, but you can only access 1 ASIO device at a time. Were you trying multiple ASIO devices?