Houdini Engine

+1
That’s a must have

+1

could be very useful… but… i don’t know how is simply for a company merge the things of another company…

Houdini or not in my opinion, but i suppose that all the developers of td know it…, the next step for a big revision of td is the step in direction of a fully gpu management…

there’s a very important fact, with the new cuda 6 there’s a very huge boost, because there’s a Unified Memory programming, and multi gpu scaling…

developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit

Its not only about technology…
Houdini plugin will attract more users from the same environment methodology,
it will expand the potential users and features bank, direct and indirect.

+1

Also wish there was a grasshopper engine :wink:

And, instead of hijacking this thread

now that the C++ SOP is pretty decent, going to revive this thread to see if we can finally get Houdini engine support on the roadmap at least. It would definitely bring TouchDesigner into wider use for VFX + compositing pipelines.

SOPs on GPU is so a crucial element nowadays. SOPs (or similar ?) really deserve some more love from Derivative. Notch for example is pretty new but far ahead in this regard and i feel like it will attract a lot of TDers

+1

+2
it is a good idea, because houdini is the king in SOP
Houdini engine can works like Substance TOP : Feed information , let take the time to compute… and use it in realtime time with Touch feature.

Because Houdini engine is generally use in real time (unity en unreal) to build level (road, batiment, props…), after compiling the game HoudiniEngine isn’t solicitate.

With Touch the Houdini engine can be use during interaction, not in realtime of course because it is to heavy, but it can generate complexe model that Touch can manipulate.

+1
This would be great.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1
Very good idea.
Being both Houdini and Touchdesigner user I believe it would be amazing if Touchdesigner could utilize Houdini Engine.

1 Like

+1
We want that bridge.

Hello,

please I would like to ask whether there are some plans to support Houdini Engine in future? I think it would be great to be able to use Houdini by utilizing Houdini Engine for geometry generation inside Touchdesigner. I am considering diving into this myself and implementing some very basic Houdini Engine functionality for Touchdesigner. However it would be pointless in case developer team is planning to do this / or is working on it right now. Therefore I just wanted to ask. Thank you very much.

Best wishes

Hey,
Currently we don’t have this work scheduled. Things can always change but if you need access to a few features then it is likely not a waste of time to dive into it yourself.

All right, thank you very much for information.

So wait no more, it looks like there is a solution for it. :slight_smile:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHylES_nQjA/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHvokqnnc68/

workshop:

I don’t know exactly about the Glazov pipeline but, personally, I still use alembic to import Houdini animation in TD where I can put texture, light and camera. The Houdini engine would allow us to prepare a digital asset in Houdini with some settings available in TD and the engine would recalculate the changing. Its possible in Unity, for the moment (I hope), not in TD. From what I know the petit sapin or glaze pipeline are the same.