Generate a 3D geometry with a Sound File

Hi there,

Ive been working on touchdesigner for a moment now and was wondering something. Am i able to generate a 3D object from scratch with an audio file. More precisely, am i able to have touchdesigner read an audio file i give it an generate an object? I understand i would have to give certain restrictions and values for it to measure, but if i am able to do this, how would i go about it?

Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

When converting audio to shape, you would have to think about what properties of the audio waveform you would like to translate. Is it just a xy scope you are after or do you want to use the frequency band in some way…
A great strength in TouchDesigner comes from being able to convert between datatypes, an audio waveform can be easily interpreted as 3D point positions for example by using the ChopTo SOP [url]https://docs.derivative.ca/CHOP_to_SOP[/url]
The simplest form of this can be found in the Palette. Under the Techniques section find the xyScope component and check out the inside.

I would suggest following some of the tutorials that are out there which cover audio visualization. A good general resource can be found here: derivative.ca/Events/2016/NorwayWorkshop/

There is also a little collection of patches here: github.com/wuestenarchitekten/soundviz from which you might get some ideas.

Best
Markus

Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Moved to Beginners.