KantanMapper v2 - an approach to simple mapping

Yes it is another perspective transform, for the purpose of “de-perspectifying” source textures before getting to your quad. That way we could use source textures that aren’t orthogonal by selecting “edit textures” and picking the corners of the source. Please see the attached example where I attempt to do it manually.
De-perspectify.toe (570 KB)

I think my previous description was a little ambiguous. By non-orthogonal I mean a shape that is orthogonal but is seen from a perspective, I hope you know what I meant. If it wasn’t an orthogonal shape to start with it wouldn’t work of course.

Hey Markus,

I’ll start out by saying this is an awesome update to Kantan mapper! Nice work.

I am having a couple issues that I will do my best to describe.

The first troubling thing, which may be completely normal is that when saving, closing, and re-opening a project using MottoKantan, the MottoKantan seems to always pick up new errors upon loading.

Another thing I’ve noticed about MottoKantan is that upon the project opening, it would be nice to have it open with all the windows toggled on. Especially in perform mode. In perform mode, it doesn’t seem like I’m able to toggle the windows on at all.

The Screen Grab function in 099 seems to be buggy in general. It seems to have trouble reading some applications and windows and seems especially buggy with MottoKantan. We are running a Java App to read interactivity and produce visuals and the screen grab function would be nice. We are using spout fine now, but it is pretty low framerate that seems to be bottlenecking at the syphon spout in top. This should be another post in 099 forums.

Thanks for developing this nice tool, I hope this helps work out some kinds, otherwise I may just still be green…

Thanks

Hi Zac,

thank you for your feedback.

Yup - the error issue I have to deal with. It’s in most cases I have come across due to load order and extension initialization which should have no impact on general performance or functionality. To get rid of all these errors, rclick on the main mottoKantan container COMP and select “Clear Children Script Errors”

The windows are all controlled via window COMPs to keep it as flexible as possible. The idea was that during editing you would most likely use the internal Window COMPs that are controlled via the Toggle Output option and the general Open/Close Kantan Window parameters.
When performing though, you would use the first output from the mottoKantan container and attach that to it’s own Window COMP. The differentiation is done to avoid unnecessary cooking in the networks necessary for editing.

Can you describe how you setup the outputs for perform mode? I’d like to check into the problem of you not being able to display the editing window.

The Screengrab TOP sounds like best to post in another topic. If you could mention your system specs and what software is causing the behavior, that would be greatly appreciated for us to duplicate the issue.

Best
Markus

bummer if ya need that specific build…my license supports updates up until early feb. dang… keep on it. thanks for sharing.

Hey Markus,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Clicking “Clear Children Script Errors” doesn’t seem to get rid of the errors for me.

The current setup I have for output is just straight through the internal window comps. I see that your system seems to make a lot of sense.

I am a bit confused on how to set up the first output to run into separate window comps to play in Perform mode. Is there any resources you know of that might help me understand this?

The screengrab top issue seemed to clear up on its own somehow.

One other issue I’ve found is that the corner pins don’t seem to move with the arrow keys in this version of Kantan. Maybe I’m missing something?

Thanks,

Zac

Hi Zac,

For the general concept of panels and Perform Mode, maybe the last two videos on this page can be helpful:

derivative.ca/Events/2016/NorwayWorkshop/

The most straight forward way to connect to a Window COMP is by connecting a Null TOP to the output of MottoKantan and referencing this new Null TOP in the Operator Parameter of a Window COMP.

Normally you will want to do all editing with the Window COMPs provided inside MottoKantan while when done, you would want to use the output and the method described above.

are you planning on interacting with MottoKantan during the performance?

Does this make sense?
Best
Markus

Markus,

Thanks so much. This helps a lot. I have to do some testing yet to make sure that works as needed for our installation.

Interacting with Motto is unnecessary once the map is set, it just needs to be able to power on and start up in touchplayer with the outputs toggled on.

Thanks, I will check back when I have implemented this and let you know how it works or ask other questions if it doesn’t. I’ll also send you some cool video of the final project once it’s all set up.

Thanks,

Zac

Hey Zac,

to have the perform window open automatically on startup, after creating it and setting it up, open the Window Placement Dialog from the Dialogs Menu or hit Alt+w. In here, check the “Start in Perform Mode” box right on top of the Dialog.

Best
Markus

Very cool. I especially love the perpective adjustments. But like ‘batchku’ I get multiple copies of a shape when I do even simple things, like select and move it. And my delete key will not work either directly on the shape or on the shape layer dialog box. Working with build 5940 running under Win 10 and bootcamp on a 2012 MBPro.

Hi,

hm - I’ll check if maybe the key assignment is different on those macs…
The copy feature should only happen when you hold the Alt key while transforming shapes…

Best
Markus

Hi Markus,
Just a heads up, MottoKantan seems to be broken in Win64 2017.7500 (it worked fine in the previous builds). I am unable to create any shapes, rectangles or otherwise.

-Carlos

Sorry about this. There is a bug with cloning replicants - will be fixed with the next TouchDesigner release.

Best
Markus

Hi! I use MottoKantan in my project. It is good thing) but sometimes, an error occurs,flicker diamonds appear on top of the image. May be I must upgrade TD to .1000 stable version?

Hi,

completely missed this post. Did the stable build fix this issue?

Cheers
Markus

Hey there Markus!

Is Kantan Mapper a bit busted right now in the newest 099 stable build ( 12100 )? I’m seeing a some strange and broken behaviors, especially surrounding grouping things ( if i move something a to new group, it stops displaying its texture if it had one). Force cooking the entire network seems to kick things back into shape for the most part, though after doing that all the nice circle handles on the UI turn to black squares… On a reboot the UI needs to be kicked as well, and it seems like the corner handles don’t want to come back at all, even after reboot.

To that end, I’m also curious if there is any ability to get an object out of a group, as it seems like once you have everything inside of one group, when you create new thigns ( groups included) they start within that group, and I’m not finding a way to take them out. I guess if you just create one master group, and then stick inside of that it seems easy enough to stay in that group and from there you can move things in and out of groups within that top group.

Thanks!
P

Hi Team,

I’m also getting the behavior where any translate, rotate etc. action in select shape mode behaves as if the Alt key is pressed. I’m using build 099.2017.12100 This behavior stops if i delete and start again.

On a more problematic note, I’m trying to do the simplest test and any texture I import - moviein file, ramp or whatever, doesn’t really display as expected (or at all) . When I load the Kantan Mapper in it shows an error, when i follow the error in (or down?) I come to the Freekeys and FreeHandle- Geometries that both have the error Instancing texture requires NVidia kepler GPU or newer Does this mean Kantan is not available to those without this hardware?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback

@spacesound - this was fixed in the Kantanmapper distributed in build 2017.12740, we removed the use of texture instancing so it would work on more hardware options.

@archo-p - Another way for you to get the texture display working without force cooking the whole network is just toggle the “eye” icon once in the shapes list. We’ll see what we can do about fixing that in the future. After restart again I had success with toggling the eyeball. What OS are you on btw?
We will look at the removing from group issue as I can see it once every shape has been put in a group. If there is still a shape not in a group, you can usually drag to drop if below that and it will exit the group.

Always comes with errors inside, no idea what’s happening

Hey,

there is an update to KantanMapper int he pipeline that addresses these startup errors. It’s taking a bit longer than planned.

Best
Markus