Live video input for laptop

Hi, what I need is a live video input for usb 3.0 laptop (for one camera but it will be better if I have a decision for three cameras simultaneously). I see that TD supports native Blackmagic, and I tried to connect their H.264 converter but without success… Guess that what I need indeed is Intensity or UltraStudio maybe?

Will try with them later these days, hopefully will work. Somewhere I saw that it depends which is the usb manufacturer and they will work only with some laptops…

I was wandering - is it possible with some adapters? Something like firewire-usb or bnc-usb? It will be cheaper this way. Before years I was able to capture through firewire but sadly today laptops are missing this input… Back in the days there was not a problem to capture video live in PureData through firewire input. Can I switch the signal on the fly from composite/bnc/firewire/hdmi to usb for live video?

Or someone can suggest other device workaround? Also do you manage to make blackmagic devices work with a laptop and which edition?

Thanks!

For what its worth, we have had no luck with the BlackMagic Intensity USB 3.0, we would not recommend that device.

Duplicate post from the FB group for people reading it here.

I’ve had good results with an Easy Capture dongle. They’re cheap composite capture cards.

[url]easy capture for sale | eBay

Like many cheap ebay electronics there are different chipsets out there with different drivers, so your results may vary.

I’ve been able to use both an Intensity Shuttle and a Ultra Studio Express to feed the Video Device TOP into TD, thru a usb3 port and a MDP port respectively. The caveats: I’m using a 2012 Macbook Pro with an NVidia card. Some USB 3 ports/controllers work with Blackmagic stuff, some don’t-check their forums. Their current ‘Desktop Video’ software (10.4.2), with it’s drivers, is having some issues with usb3, I’ve rolled back to 10.3.7. And it can take a couple of tries/computer restarts to get it going. OTOH, you get multiple input types, resolution control and very little delay so if you’ve got someone speaking the gap between picture and audio is not very large.

Hi VidE,
I am in need of a capture unit and don’t want to spend too much money testing products. Have you tried using the Intensity on a PC by chance?

Thanks!

Brian

I can confirm that easier than I thought this cheap device works: ebay.com/itm/Easier-Cap-USB- … 1512204059

On Windows 10 I installed the drivers from its original cd and Touch saw it immediately. I use it with old analog camera so it’s 720x576 but in my case that’s enough because the aim is the signal to looks vintage :slight_smile:

I use it with a wireless video transmitter in Touch, there are some drops and glitches in the signal, may be more than I want, so I will go for a better transmitter. But so far I’m happy with the result in connectivity.