diagonal tearing on a 980M

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this diagonal tearing. It happens to me in the network editor both with and without an external monitor. All Monitors are set to 60Hz, even with just the sample file running at a steady 60fps.
Im running
Gigabyte P35X
980M 8GB
Windows10
TD60770
NVIDIA drivers 361.91

I am considering trying to downgrade to windows7, but before i go through that nightmare, I am curious if anyone else has seen this. There seems to be a fairly long thread on this on the NVIDIA site here: forums.geforce.com/default/topi … m-980m-/1/

oh i should also note that I have a highDPI monitor running at 1080 x 1920 so I can see + use the TD interface…

Just to rule out that issue, can you try running the monitor at it’s native resolution and see if the error occurs?

Alright, I tried a whole bunch of variations, so Ill just put it into a list of what happens to try and make it as clear as possible.

native resolution for the laptop is 2880 x 1620
the external monitor is a dell U2414H (1920 x 1080)

all the tearing is this weird diagonal tearing Ive never seen before

laptopScreen only @ native res = no tearing
plug in the external screen (HDMI)
laptop@native + external = no tearing until I either drag the network over to the dell, or if i open a perform window on the external screen.

if i unplug the external monitor then I still have tearing on the laptop until I switch to another non-native resolution and then back to the native.

laptop @ 1920x1080 and external monitor = no tearing on either for a bit and then once it starts, I have to unplug the monitor and reset the resolution to get it back to tear free.

at times even panning the network editor is slowing the fps down to nearly 35fps, but only momentarily as if the optimums takes time to do some switching almost or to figure out what its doing.

I picked this laptop up since it can run two external monitors + laptop screen, but i might have to go back to lugging a shuttle around…hmmm…

thanks for any advice on this one.

Does the machine have optimus? Any idea how the outputs are connected to the GPUs? If you go to the PhysX section of the Nvidia control panel there is sometimes a diagram of how things are wired.

Sadly yes, it has optimus. I know in the earlier days there were issues with optimus, but I had thought it wasn’t such a big issue anymore.

In the physX config screen everything is wired through the IntelHD4600 :neutral_face:

so I guess its probably linked to that?

There seem to be very few laptops that dont have optimus, and any of the others Ive found with the 980, are 17" monsters.

Not much help but, I have the Same issue with 4 Dell Laptops I just got with the 960’s. It seems to get better as they heat up and the longer I use them. Seems to me like a video card issue. Dell says to just send them back.

totally weird. the heat doesn’t seem to help mine much, but its kind intermittent. seems like if it locks on its ok for a bit, but if i do something as simple as switch between edit / perform mode, it can cause it again.

I assume those dell’s are optimus too?

I didn’t have a chance to read the whole thread, but just sharing my experience real quick, I have this diagonal tearing as well, its quite funny how perfectly diagonal it is. I haven’t tried fixing it, but I’ve had tearing in some for or another on all our workstation laptops since 680M, to no real avail.

Ok, so it gets deeper…I guess this isn’t on your machines to deliver the final work though? For me I was really hoping to use a laptop for performance, and the last time I did it was a disaster (for me at least I’m not sure how many others noticed it - I even cut my set short because of it)

What OS are you using elburz? I was thinking of trying to downgrade to win7pro so I could go sans aero…

Well the issue is sans aero means you’ll tear even more, but you won’t lose any frames. Worth a shot though.

I’m on Win10. Ya I don’t use laptops for any final work, just development. even a small shuttle computer with only enough room for a double slot GPU is so much more reliable for me.

+1 with diagonal tearing, noticed also when upgraded to Win10

Alienware 17 R2 2015 with 980M

Maybe we are stuck with this as an optimus thing. I hope the VR push gets us out of this and directly wired to the GFX card.

m

In case anyone is following this thread or runs across the issue in the future - weirdly enough if you set you windows theme to one of the ‘high contrast’ themes, the issue disappears. As far as I can tell there is no more tearing on any output.

I was getting tearing on a variety of screens, both just when editing in the network and spanning multiple monitors (external outputs + laptop screen)

this seems to have fixed it - but phew not ideal.

from some other NVIDIA forums, it looks like this is what people are doing, and have reported it to microsoft since it looks like its in their court.

OH MY GOD!!!
I AM NOT ALONE.

It’s cold comfort, but I thought I was insane for a bit there.

we can start a support group if you want :wink:

and if it matters, I managed to find a fairly less repulsive high-contrast theme that seems to work. I guess ‘.theme’ files arent allowed, but drop a line and i can post it somewhere else if anyone is interested. grey on grey on grey is what youll be looking at.

zip the theme file and attach it, will be useful for everybody who finds this thread in the future

here you go…
darkGrey.zip (750 Bytes)