alienware graphics amplifier and TD?

Hello out there,

Anyone out there using (or know about) the alienware external graphics card “graphics amplifier” with TouchDesigner?

I ask because I’m thinking of purchasing, but am just a bit worried that TD might not be able to leverage the external GPU fully, in much the same manner as SLI has problems.

Does anyone know the skinny?

thanks

jim

Curious about this too - but specifically the RAZER CORE as it seems like its compatible with most systems that have a thunderbolt3 port.

Okay I did it, I purchased it, and I have had time to evaluate it.
It didn’t work on startup, and I spent a night tracking down what the problem was.
It turns out the previous alienware drivers worked where the current ones didn’t with windows 10 64bit.
It can be a bit flaky upon boot up, and I have to use TechPowerUp GPU-Z to ensure the bus interface is working properly, but a restart usually fixes it.

The cable sucks too, and it runs hot.

Other than that, it works, and I’m glad I own it.

Do you mind letting us know what laptop / GFX card combo are you using? Not sure how much you’ve tested, but I am also curious about the performance with the laptop screen + external output vs only external output…

thanks for the update!

Love to hear more about your experiences with it!

Alienware 17
Nvidia Titan Black
It’s been working well now that the driver issue is resolved.
there is a list of compatible graphics cards floating around on the interweb that you might want to check prior to purchase. It’s an older list so if you want to go 1080gtx external, you might want to check user base by luck with specific manufacturer cards.
The HDMI output of the laptop is disabled when the external graphics card is in use.

I want to do more painting and 3D sculpting, so I recently purchased a Cintiq, but I hated it. So (impulsively) I returned it for the Surface Pro 4.

SP4:
seems flimsy
Text is very tiny in TD due to screen size (there’s a fix floating around in the forums).
Currently it appears that the pen info doesn’t get into Touch through the Tablet chop, but perhaps I’m missing something. It works in the calibration screen sooooo?
I haven’t tried the external graphics card route with SP4, but I believe I’ve read that it’s possible. Doesn’t matter to me because I’m taking the SP4 back to the store and using the money to purchase the Razer Blade Stealth with the Core (external graphics card enclosure). Less money, more CPU power, and more or equal on everything else important. I have to check out compatibility with current high end consumer cards (1080gtx)… keep my fingers crossed on Quadro. Not that I own one, but last I read it was a lot easier to develop for 3D on quadros.
And shit since the new IPads record 4k video, have cellular capability, and TD 99 beta works on mac… I might end up buying a machete.

Watched these the other day, may help you decision:

youtube.com/watch?annotatio … ZSMcKbuEnA

youtube.com/watch?v=2D79GsrEqe4

The 2nd video is much more detailed than the first. First is kind of an overview.

also note that 099 now has scalable user interface for high-DPI screens (but I haven’t tested this myself yet)