Which GPU is used? nVidia Optimus (dual GPU) confusion

Hi, I’m newbie TD.

I have nVidia Optimus based laptop (Dell XPS 14 L421X) with GeForce 630M and Intel HD4000. I have configured in nVidia control panel to use GeForce with TD, but my MonitorsDAT shows that Intel HD is used. I’m confused whetherTD is using max. graphics capabilities of my laptop. Screenshot.
Is it a TD bug? Is there a way to test and quantify my GPU performance via TD?

I believe on those laptops the GPU outputs are routed through the Intel HD4000 anyways. So if the control panel is forcing TouchDesigner to use the Geforce, it should be working fine, but you may see the Intel HD listed in the Monitors DAT. I haven’t used an Optimus laptop in a while though.

Your operations are likely happening on the 630, but the Optimums card is what’s actually connected to the display, acting as a middle-man for the laptop itself.

I have this same experience on my msi laptop with a 970M. Drove me insane for several weeks.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening. Slightly confusing for sure. Hopefully with VR coming Optimus laptops are on their way out.

thanks everyone for your replies.

I’ve managed to figure out experimentally that indeed my GeForce is utilized by TD.
I’ve used HWiNFO to monitor both of my GPUs (clock, memory, temp, etc) and true, GeForce wakes up and runs as it should when TD is launched.

In addition, i can tell that 1Gb of GPU RAM is hardly enough for some decent real-time effects (especially with instancing and/or particles feedback).