GPU recommendation for 6+1 screens installation

Hi,

can you share opinion about which gpu is better for a large video projection permanent installation (6 blended beamers 1280x800 and probably 1 more monitor for a UI) - GTX1080 or Quadro M4000 (or M5000? it’s more expensive but worth it?). And I’ll need a DATAPATH x4 I guess (1 or 2 Datapaths?).

Performance is also a task but probably it will not be interactive content but video footage (I will put it on a SSD). It’s more important to have synced and no-tearing output. And of course the resolution and video content (animation) would be a gpu challenge.

Thanks!

You can build a player with amd firepro (w9100, w8100) with 6 mini-dp and build another low budget td machine for monitoring through network. :smiley:

Use HAP and the video playback should be fine.

If tearing is important than you should use the Quadros. You can probably get away with the M4000 and 2x Datapath x4’s (also theres a new datapath, the fx4 with display port) if there isn’t much heavy processing aside from playing back HAP files. Although the M5000 would be pretty safe all around.

The main thing is to have the same signal chain to all your identical screens. So you wouldn’t want some screens on the m4000 directly and some on the datapath. You’d probably want to do an even split of 3 screens on each of the 2 datapath x4’s. Then to initialfx’s point, you’re better off putting the UI on a laptop computer and sending data to the main patch using Touch In/Out CHOP/DAT.

why would you plug the displays to FX4s instead of to the cards?

If you need 8 outputs off a single card, the card only has 4, and each X4 can split a 4k signal from a single output. So on two of the cards outputs, you can get 8x outputs. Was that your question?