US digital QSB

Anyone have experience with a USB to serial port interface like the QSB from Us Digital?
I am trying to get information from an incremental encoder wheel connected to the QSB into touch designer. I would like to get the encoder wheel to control a camera left and right within a specified range. The software that comes with the QSB can see the data on com4 but I cannot get touch to see that data coming in at all on that com port. Any ideas?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is something I am interested in too and hopefully can add some info to help someone in the future… if anyone can help add-on, give advice, point in the right direction it’d greatly be appreciated!

Goal: I want to put the encoder wheel on a track, and know where it’s position is on the track. As it moves it will control the X position of and image in TD. Essentially want to make something that mimics a “horizontal slider” button like you would find at the bottom of a web browser.

Products I’m using:
usdigital.com/products/inte … pc/usb/QSB (QSB-S)
usdigital.com/products/enco … y/shaft/H5 (h5-500-ne-s)

I have been trying to solve it out on my own, and the small breakthrough I’ve had is:
cdn.usdigital.com/assets/genera … List_3.pdf

So it definitely seems to work better with a Serial DAT, opposed to Serial CHOP. I also found I could send commands using a Serial DAT + Text DAT.

n.send('S0E', terminator='\r\n') #(according to the QSB Command List PDF S0E is "Stream Encoder Value" and returns something like "s0E0000007D00036B47!" which I'm not quite sure what to do with)

The other thing that looks helpful is they have a ton of VB.Net, C#, C++, VB6 examples included in the “US Digital Device Explorer” download: usdigital.com/support/softw … r-software

I think the “QSBUser.dll” is potentially another missing piece to the puzzle…

This is where I am stuck for now… since I have no experience programming with any of these things, .dll files, or the CPlusPlus OP. It seems a bit of a doosy trying to dive into this, so any help would be appreciated more than you know. If I find out anything else I’ll post more info. Thanks!

EDIT #1
paikowsky from slack sent me this link which is much easier:
cdn.usdigital.com/assets/genera … amples.pdf

I figured out if I send these commands it streams data:
4.1 Activate Streaming Encoder Value Output Command – “S0E”
4.2 Setting Output Value Threshold = 1 Command – “W0B0001”

When I spin it, I get new values, just not sure what they are yet:

EDIT #2
So after using those commands above to get it streaming data, I found out that it’s giving me hex values. So if I take the value between “s0E” and “!” and convert that to an integer it gives me something usable!

Quick overview of my workflow:
Serial DAT > use Select and Convert DATs to get 2-3 rows of serial messages into a single line of text, and then use python .find and substring from the find to extract the hex value and convert that with int(me.inputCell.val,16).

I’ll come back and clean this up when I get a chance and add more details.