GTX 1080 vs 5700 XT

Hi all,

I need some recommendation on hardware. For live performances, I want to use audioreactive shaders and also physics simulation based explosion and fluid animations, again in real-time. My taste and approach is minimalistic in terms of content (mainly geometric, generative stuff), but i seek responsiveness and clean look. I’m not that good at coding, but eager to improve.

For GTX 1080 (already purchased a used one, didn’t give it a try yet) :

pros: I’m curious about CUDA and touchdesigner’s support. I’ve seen keijiro’s cool unity samples; so Unity could be an option. FleX and PhysiX libraries of Nvidia could help; one of them works well with Unreal Engine, i guess. There would be lots of example patches, which in my case would be quite helpful. Lastly, raytracing support might help me yield better lighting in light workload scenes.

cons: it’s a 2-3 years old card; which means it may not perform that well and also may go obselete in near future.

For 5700XT (may sell the gtx, add extra 30$, and buy this):

pros: I’ve been a mac user and would love to keep on using my old quartz compositions on an hackintosh build. It sounds reasonable to invest in a brand new card wrt a 2-3 years old one.

con: no raytracing support(?) It may be harder to find applied example patches and i may be on my own with the code most of the time. No CUDA, Flex, Physix libraries (Bullet can be an answer if i can tame it), an extra 30 bucks and some extra effort.

That’s pretty much it. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Ekin

For TouchDesigner specifically, Nvidia is better as there are a number of features that are Nvidia only such as…

• hardware accelerated video encode/decode
  • H.264 movie export
  • CUDA in the C++ TOP
  • Geometry Texture Instancing
  • Nvidia Flow features
  • SVG TOP

Average Bench 101% of GTX 1080

The GTX 1080 is Nvidia’s new flagship graphics card. It features the new 16 nm (down from 28 nm) Pascal architecture. This is the first die shrink since the release of the GTX 680 at which time the manufacturing process shrunk from 40 nm down to 28 nm. In terms of typical 3D gaming performance the 1080 is around 30% faster than the GTX 980 Ti and it manages to deliver the additional performance with a TDP of just 180 Watts which is 70 Watts less than the 980 Ti. The new Pascal architecture delivers a satisfying jump in performance over Maxwell and the GTX 1080 is now the fastest single GPU available. Over the coming months older generation cards will likely see significant price drops as the better value for money 1070, 1060 and 1050 cards slowly replace their predecessors.

Average Bench 114% of 5700 XT

Out of the box the reference 5700 XT has high burst speeds but under load it overheats and therefore drops frames to the extent that it is more or less unusable for demanding games like PUBG. In order to settle the card it was under volted by 120 mV and the maximum clock was lowered to 1,980 MHz (the stock BIOS and 19.9.1 driver defaulted the card to 2,030 MHz). The fan curve also had to be turned up to around 50% power at 75 degrees (which is a lot noisier than stock). After making these changes the card delivered far more consistent performance albeit with a reduced top speed and unacceptable noise levels. The reference 5700 XT is great for beating benchmarks, but it is not so great for playing games. Thousands of people purchased the reference card expecting flagship performance, instead they got a shopping trolley with a V8 engine. It appears that the same marketing tactics were employed for the reference Vega 56 and 64 series of graphics cards which we will purchase for our gaming lab and generate effective fps (EFps) gaming metrics in due course. AMD appear to have very short term marketing strategists at the helm. They seem more concerned with this years bonuses than the longevity of the brand.

EPOS Kit Hire