alienware M15x

hey dudes

just thought i’d let ya’ll know, these things have problems with throttling of graphics cards under high cpu load
forum.notebookreview.com/showthr … 546&page=1

and it can be induced with 4 instances of touch, though with less instances it seems to be pretty damn good.

Hey Jason, I’m thinking of getting one of these machines.

how do you like it so far?

I’ll start a laptops from hell thread as soon as I get my different brands and models together…

an appealing element is that it has an integrated 9800 that would perhaps make it possible to at least sit and make control panels in cafes without sucking the battery dry in 30 minutes.

alternatives from asus, sager and gateway exist but I think the aliens make a good build and I’m leaning that way. Lotsa money to throw out for it though…

Rod.

hey mate!
sorry i’ve been trying to reply to this for ages and my interwebs keep stuffing up

i l ike it, it requires the patches from notebook review to stop the throttling, but once it does its amazingly fast
i find its 3d rendering performance extraordinary - pants my dual 2.66 mega desktop handily - not quite up to desktop 3ghz quad, but damn close
amazing with touch and photoshop

its big and heavy though and the battery is just a UPS. the power brick is also lethal
its about as subtle as a brick through the head.

Dell in singapore have still not got corei7 on the M17x and I must buy soon. so I’m just deciding between M15x and m11x both tempting for different reasons. with the latter, I’d hav eto build a desktop system as well methinks. with the former, I’d have to get into using my phone for writing and surfing more. :slight_smile:

people are saying 2.5 hours max on the M15x with the nvidia card turned off and in power saving mode. I guess that’s about 20 minutes with Touch running! :wink:

there are some thoughts on m11x etc. here…
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1920

I’ll let u know what I decide.

rod.