APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

GrandMA2

Discuss graphics hardware, computer hardware, and input/output devices to use with TouchDesigner

GrandMA2

Postby kevinb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to use a GrandMa2, as output

But it's not as plug and play then with the enttek, anyway succes? and can share the procedure

Thank you
kevinb

Re: GrandMA2

Postby kanelau » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:45 pm

try using the Art-Net, and describe your questions further may also help.
kanelau

Postby kevinb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:30 am

Hello,

I did try to have ArtNet, config my console for it, like back in the days, try like describe in here, so I put a dmx out and a ArtNet in touch, find where to put some of the data, like subnet and all, but I most be missing some step, because it was not working.

for example, basically as a test run,I just want to have a LED Par, connect to my MA2, and from the touchdesigner, with something simple, like a constant and a math of 255, open the dimmer channel of that Par.

Thank you
kevinb

Postby flowb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 am

You are trying to do a data merge in the console. Usually HTP (highest-value takes precedence.

Begin by setting up your artnet output in touch. If you want to, use a second insurance on another computer with a dmx-in node to verify that you are outputting data.

Next you need to set up the desk to accept the input. In setup, under network protocols under artnet you'll have to change the 'requested' field I think to 'input' or 'input and output' and make sure your universe start, amount and offset values are matched.

This is about where my knowledge of the MA2 runs out. The process and the particulars of setting up the MA to merge artnet and output DMX is something you should ask on the MA Facebook group or the ma-share forums.

It sounds like you're using a $20k lighting console as essentially a DMX adaptor. While this is broadly amusing, there is probably a more elegant solution. Hopefully the console is serving other purposes on your show. :)
flowb

Postby kanelau » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Alright I got it, first you should understand that as a console, the grandMA2 is considering itself as a DMX output device rather than taking DMX signals from Art-Net and pass them though.

Here's what you should do as a test run:
1.Patch the LED being tested.

2.Light up the LED,store it as a cue to a fader.

3.Goto Setup(by pressing the Setup KEY),find the Remote input setup in the first page.

4.To the third tab named DMXRemote,add a remote input and set the type to executor and assign a DMX address which will be used to control desired fader.

5.Exit this page and goto the network page,go into the network protocol page and activate the Art-Net input by clicking the button to the right, then add a new data entry and set mode to Input.

6.Send a DMX signal in TouchDesigner via Art-Net with the correct DMX universe and address you previously set in the DMX remote tab.

That should solve your problem.

Here's some screenshots to the settings,sure you can find your way out.
network.png
network.png (42.92 KiB) Viewed 657 times

remote.png
remote.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 657 times
kanelau

Return to Hardware