Radeon Vega Frontier Edition (16gb) flop vs GTX1080 (8go)

Hi All,

Hopefully it profits some of us:
I purchased a newegg.ca/Product/Product.a … 6814105073
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB video card… air cooled version.
I have a GTX 1080 (non-Ti) 8GB on my current system but need more memory as I have too many points to display (30-50 million) in VR using a shader. My GTX is great with 16 million points, but no more, so decided to test a new card. Which forced me to jam in a 750watt power supply for large towers in my mini tower.
Well, not even my 16 million points work over 30fps… and they studder on the new card.
Soo back to NVIDIA for me…

Cheers! P

thanks for the heads up! Was wondering if the new NUCs with radeon cards would be good for touchdesigner, but i think this answers my question

I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion, the new NUCs aren’t doing the same as this Vega Frontier card. Also, we are dedicated to making AMD work well and many people use them successfully so while I personally would choose Nvidia over AMD at the same price point, I would not dismiss all AMD cards.

@priam there could be a number of reasons for this, we’d like to get more information from your setup or a comparative dump of your Performance Monitor output. It could be as simple as 1 node misbehaving.

Hi Ben,

Thanks,
Good to know, I had gotten rid of the card and missed your answer.
Will keep that in mind, best! P