Lighting novation launchkey mini LED's

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I’ve been scratching my head the last few days trying to control the LED pads on my Novation Launchkey Mini. I should have all the pieces to figure this out, but I just can’t quite put them together.
Here’s what I’ve found:

Matthew Ragan shows you how to light the LED lights with a similar Novation product
youtube.com/watch?v=AG6lbXVl_bE

When I use my controller to launch clips in Ableton, I hit a button that puts it into “inControl” mode, which is associated with ‘Midi Port 2’. Here’s some more information:

[i]These messages need to be sent to the InControl MIDI Port, ie. The MIDIIn2 Port.
Steps to control the LEDS:

1. Put the unit into ‘InControl’ Mode by sending to MIDI Port 2: 90h, 0Ch, 7Fh

2. Set PAD1 LEDs to Orange by sending on MIDI Port 2: 90h, 60h, 33h

3. Set PAD1 LEDs to Red by sending on MIDI Port 2: 90h, 60h, 03h

4. Set PAD1 LEDs to Green by sending on MIDI Port 2: 90h, 60h, 30h
    [/i]

(right click and say view image in new tab, it gets cut off for some reason)

And then a snippet from the derivative page about Midi Out
send(message1, message2…)

Send a sequence of bytes through this CHOP.
Messages can any combination of strings, byte arrays, or individual single-byte numeric values.
To serialize non-byte values (example floats or integers) there are several python modules to do this, such as pickle or struct.
Returns none.
n.send(0xb0,0x2f,0x40) #Control Change : Channel 1, Index 48, Value 64
sendExclusive(message1, message2…)

Send a sytem exclusive message through this CHOP. The System Exclusive start and end charecter are added to the message.
Messages can any combination of strings, byte arrays, or individual single-byte numeric values.
To serialize non-byte values (example floats or integers) there are several python modules to do this, such as pickle or struct.
Returns none.
n.sendExclusive(0xb0, ‘abc’ ,0x40) # Send a system exclusive message consisting of a start byte, 0xb0, ‘a’, ‘b’, ‘c’ (as ascii), 0x40, and an end byte.

So basically I need to somehow send that code to turn on ‘inControl’ through the Midi Out chop to my controller on port 2 before I can do anything. I also haven’t been able to find any documentation on how you can use python commands with a mid out CHOP. If you have experience with this controller or midi out, or can figure out how I could accomplish this I would really appreciate it. I can’t move forward with this project until I figure out the LED’s.

Got it, you just turn on incontrol with this line op(‘midiout1’).send(0x90,0x0C,0x7F), and then the method used in the tutorial works

Hey Instrumental Asylum, I was trying to get the same that as you working but can’t quite seem to figure it out. I’m just starting out with TouchDesigner and probably just be missing something obvious but where exactly did you put the line that turns on incontrol?

Thanks!

Hey Instrumental Asylum, few years after, i’m trying to do the same, but can´t figure out how to do it, somehow i managed to get into the inControl Mode, but just last a few seconds and then the light turns off again, so I ask the same question than Cguer, where exactly did you put the code?

Thanks for your time

@cguer and @nicortega
I opened up the project again, you gotta add a second novation midi device for the MIDI in and MIDI out:
alt-D > image
Create a midi out chop and assign it to your midi in channel (in my case 3).
Then just run that line of python somewhere in the same container (in this example I just ran it with the Z key from a Chop Execute DAT.
Attached is the container I had it in, my pitiful attempt at a VJ mixer, can’t remember what I meant all the blinking and booping lights to be for. The weird hand looking thing at the top controls the messages being sent to 4 of the pads, map your novation like I did above, press the Z key on your keyboard and it should start blinking.

novationLEDs.tox (8.7 KB)

Thanks for the reply @Synaesthete_Visuals, I keeped investigating and finally found the way to do it, it was exactly like you say, with the Chop Execute DAT, but i used a button COMP instead the Z key. I also add a Excecute DAT to run the script when I open the patch so it always start in the IN Control Mode.

Thanks Again! Cheers!