TD - Push 2 Ableton (MIDI Device advice)

Dear Touchdesigner Forum.

I’m developing a live AV show, the live part is new to me and I’m looking for the some midi controller options.

My plan is to make a TD setup which can transition between different media, such as rendered video, interactive unreal scenes and TD realtime content. I want a controller which can be mapped to select which media to play next and make transitions between media. Something like a 2-3 channel media mixer, which I can transition between like a traditional VJ/Video Mixer.

I was thinking about the Push 2 by Ableton, since I also want to use the LINK featured to drive content via Albeton audio sources. Also the PUSH 2 might allow me to develop more complex setups in the future.

If anyone can share any info on the Push 2 or any other device, I would be most greatful.

Best
Michael

Hi!
I’ve looked into the push as well. Amazing controller to work with ableton, but I’m not sure if it’s the right solution for TD. It would be amazing to access the screen on the controller but I have no idea if that’s possible. If not you are left with clip selection and knobs. You don’t have any sliders and I personally like to have a bunch for operating. If you take that into account it’s a quite expensive controller for what you get. I choosed to go for the akai apc40 mk2. Must say I’m really happy with it. Not the most robust one ( mostly plastic so if your planning to take it on tour I would dive into more heavy weight controllers) but if you are looking for a good studio controller I could definitely recommend the apc40. I’ll post a component on chopchopchop soon which lets you grab full control over the different led colors.

Hi Boompe,

Thanks for the recommendation, I also thought the Push 2 might be over complicating things too much. I’ve also had my eye on the APC line thanks for recommending the 40.

It does seem suitable to have a mixer type transition slider the 40 has bottom right, this could be used to fade between “clips”.

Would like to have a look at your Component, please let me know whens up. Even a work in progress would be great to see.

For sure you can use it to mix over clips. Choosing the right midi controller is pretty personal. Basically it becomes your interface and you want to play it like a real instrument, forgetting you are pushing buttons and becoming “one” with the software. ( like playing a piano )

There are three common kind of controllers on a midi interface . Buttons , sliders and knobs. You could use every one for mixing clips but as you can imagine it is most intuitive to have for instance a slider to control opacity and buttons to select a clip.

I have choosen the apc40 due to the large amount of sliders / knobs and buttons and the option to have the colors led color coded. I use it mainly in the studio so the plastic case is not a big problem for me ( being a bit fragile If you take it on tour )

Since all midi controllers are “dumb” there is no easy way to program the controller in a easy way to make it work the way you want it to work. I mean it just sends controller data when you push a button or twist a knob. Several controllers are made specifically for ableton live. ( like the apc40) it communicates with ableton live and for instance sets the color of a led button automatically to the corresponding clip color. This is being done by sending back midi information to the controller making the led colors light up. My component is doing the same thing by keeping all the state settings within td and sending back info to the apc. In that way you can use buttons for instance as a toggle down / radio or momentary button , making sure you can configure the controller in exactly the way you want it to operate your software.

Of course this can be done with all midi controllers that support led color feedback. Only thing that is differenr is the protocol used to transfer that information ( for instance a color gets send back to the apc using the velocity channel of a note )

What i would do in your case is to analyze your software and decide how many sliders / buttons and knobs you need to control it. Then think of how much you will take it on the road ( choosing a plastic casing or going for something more robust. Also keep in mind the size of the controller, the apc is relatively big ) and then make your choice of controller accordanly.

Good luck man . I’ll keep you posted when I finalized my component

Thanks again for the information.

The APC40 definintely has too many buttons for the interface I want to use. But what I like is the crossfader to make smooth fades etc. Not many midi controllers have one, it seems, unless you know of any? so I think I’ll go with it…

Let me know when the component is ready, I’m sure I’ll find it reall helpful.

Thank you