Quadro SDI capture vs GigE camera

Hi,

Considering options for a capture setup and wondering which of a combination of Quadro K4000 + Quadro SDI capture cards OR a PointGrey Flir GigE camera would offer the lowest capture latency?

Thanks,

The Quadro SDI cards won’t work in the newest TouchDesigner builds, I believe it was already taken out (no more Quadro SDI TOP) because the hardware is more or less discontinued by nVidia. The Blackmagic cards are affordable and offer good performance, and the AJA and Datapath are a step up from there. The SDI input method is pretty good in terms of latency, we’ve had down to 1-3 frames. I haven’t used the GigE cams, so I can’t comment on them.

Agree. Would bet money that Ethernet based cameras would be slower.

Did GPUDirect get added to any drivers?

Bruce

AJA supports GPU Direct in the 2018.20000 series builds.

that sounds cool Malcolm, have you got any insights into what this means in practice in terms of performance?

This actually makes it sound like most (BM etc) already have it in their driver, is that correct in TD?
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … ure-card-/

In theory is reduces the CPU load required to copy data around for video playback. It also reduces latency for output by a few frames.

Most manufacturers support GPU Direct in their drivers, but we’ve only incorporated it for AJA so far.