APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

elgato Game Capture HD60

Discuss graphics hardware, computer hardware, and input/output devices to use with TouchDesigner

elgato Game Capture HD60

Postby push-pop » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Yo,
Has anyone gotten one of these devices working with TouchDesigner? There's an unofficial DirectShow driver but after installing that it still doesn't show up on the list in VideoDeviceIn.

Any ideas or do I need to find a different capture card?

Thx
Nate Turley
twit // insta // web
push-pop

Re: elgato Game Capture HD60

Postby nettoyeur » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 am

I remember both Peter Walker & Matthew Ragan are using one with TD. You can ask them on fb.
Idzard Kwadijk | freelance TouchDesigner consultant | LinkedIn
nettoyeur

Postby bwood » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

I was fighting one of these last week. I was finally able to get a stream from it by starting up TD and selecting it through either the DirectShow or Media Foundation libraries (it would give me a black or flashing black screen) After selecting it in TD I would open up the elgato game capture software and that would always force it to start working in Touch somehow. Once it was working it was pretty great, I got the HD60S and the latency is pretty low.

After it was streaming I could close the elgato software and it would keep working until shutting the computer off.

I am wanting to use it for a client install, but don't really trust it yet.
bwood

Postby landonth » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Could also try setting up a generic RTMP stream with the Elgato software and then using the Video Stream In TOP to receive it. I have no idea if that works but seems possible, albeit not as ideal as the Video Device In TOP.
- Landon Thomas
landonth

Postby raganmd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:58 pm

I don't like using these as capture devices for installs, just for capturing sets or recording tuts. I'd go with a more robust capture method for an installation.
raganmd

Postby push-pop » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks for the tips!

This is for a festival install (streaming not installation) so might not have the option to get anything else due to budgeting.

What would you recommend for a more robust capture that plays nicer with TouchDesigner?

I'm guessing BlackMagic is the preferred? Any others worth looking into?

Thanks
Nate Turley
twit // insta // web
push-pop

Postby raganmd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:54 pm

Not a huge fan of Black magic for capture. I've had the most consistent luck with BlueFish cards - though they're also pricey. :/
raganmd

Postby nettoyeur » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 am

Blackmagic (Decklink) if you're on a budget. Dont ever use Blackmagic USB models(famous for not working), only Blackmagic PCI-E cards.
For high-end & bigger budget you should pick only Datapath or Bluefish444 cards (both fully supported in TD)
For a budget option also Magewell HDMI-to-USB3 is highly recommended in TD (no drivers needed, plug-and-play).
Idzard Kwadijk | freelance TouchDesigner consultant | LinkedIn
nettoyeur

Return to Hardware