APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

EtherDream vs Helios DAC

Discuss graphics hardware, computer hardware, and input/output devices to use with TouchDesigner

EtherDream vs Helios DAC

Postby 2Baysdjs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 am

Hi All,

I am planning to incorporate either the Etherdream or Helios into live performances to control two older model X-Lasers. I'm looking for clarity regarding how many DACs I'll need to buy (I want complete separate control for each laser) and if I'll notice a difference in scan rates between the two options. Any additional insight would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Scott Perry
2Baysdjs

Re: EtherDream vs Helios DAC

Postby ben » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:21 pm

One DAC per laser. I'm not sure about scan rate differences between the two. Helios is USB vs Etherdream which is ethernet. So if you need to run long distances from your computer to the lasers, Etherdream is more flexible in setup. Etherdream costs twice the Helios.
ben
Staff

Re: EtherDream vs Helios DAC

Postby jmt4zj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 am

Also consider whether you're using this for show control or private use. I like the etherdreams as they are network based, which means I can locate the etherdream near the laser and use cheap cat5/6 for the long runs instead of expensive ilda cable. Also never have to worry about drivers / USB ports etc. To be fair I haven't used the Helios DAC.
Jonathan Thompson
http://particularexperienc.es
TouchDesigner Developer at AV&C
jmt4zj

Return to Hardware