APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

Intel NUC8i7HVK GPU issue

Discuss graphics hardware, computer hardware, and input/output devices to use with TouchDesigner

Intel NUC8i7HVK GPU issue

Postby monty_python » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:26 am

Hello,

please may I ask whether developers or anyone else have access to Intel NUC8i7HVK? I have been fighting rather strange behavior of GPU on this nuc for several months. I can't seem to solve this and it somehow seems to me like issue related to Touchdesigner (however I am not sure about that).

GPU used in this nuc is Radeon RX Vega M GH. It works like expected, but when it comes to using Touchdesigner, it does not perform very well. Problem is that GPU Core Clock is fluctuating when using Touchdesigner and therefore it does not have enough power to keep steady framerate. It is dropping frames even though it does have enough power to run just fine.

Touchdesigner sometimes makes it utilize full Core Clock speed (1190MHz as it should) and then it works perfect. However getting to the state when it runs properly is like being defined by non-deterministic random (sice it happens only sometimes and is not related to anything I could possibly think of). When this happens, it could run whole days just right - without ever dropping single frame. Once restarted, it gets back to "bad" behavior - and constantly changes Core Clock when using Touchdesigner - therefore dropping frames.

I have been testing this with 3 different Intel NUC8i7HVK and all of them behaved the same. During last year I have gone trough multiple versions of BIOS and its configurations, multiple versions of GPU drivers and their configurations, several Windows and Touchdesigner updates, but none of them made a difference.

Other graphics related software makes this GPU utilize full Core Clock speed without any issue. For example when running UNIGINE benchmarks it works just fine every time - using 1190Mhz and therefore getting the most out of it.

Please does anyone know what might cause behavior? Thanks in advance.
I am currently using Windows 10 1903, BIOS 0058, AMD Radeon 18.12.2, Touchdesigner 2019.18580. I am attaching screenshot from GPU-Z showing Core Clock when runnging Touchdesigner in perform mode.
Attachments
gpuz.PNG
gpuz.PNG (22.93 KiB) Viewed 376 times
monty_python

Re: Intel NUC8i7HVK GPU issue

Postby barakooda » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:59 am

i have more than few at work,
will try to check.

what you use it for ?
Last edited by barakooda on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
barakooda

Postby monty_python » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 am

Thank you very much barakooda. I wanted to use this nuc as small and portable "content generator" with touchdesigner (since it is powerful enough and yet small to be placed basically anywhere - even when there is not enough space).
monty_python

Postby barakooda » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:49 am

I will have to wait a bit for update the TOUCH099 licenses
but my results are fine:

win10 pro 1903
AMD driver version : 26.20.13001.50005 ( get the latest from amd site, not intel )
Touch099 version : 17550
Bios : 058

once will get the updates will update the results.
Attachments
test_intel_amd_gpu.jpg
test_intel_amd_gpu.jpg (450.61 KiB) Viewed 299 times
barakooda

Postby monty_python » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 am

Thank you very much for testing it. Please could you try using also perform mode?

Also thank you very much for recommendation on using driver from AMD site. I tried it but result is the same.
I am attaching video that shows how it behaves. (I am sorry for "handheld quality", but performing actual screen recording would alter the results in this scenario.) If touchdesigner is running, core clock is high enough to perform well and not drop frames (even though sometimes it drops frame, but it is no big deal in this case). I am just guessing that Touchdesigner UI might make gpu raise its core clock high enough (it mostly sticks to 1190Mhz). However once I enable perform mode, gpu core clock lowers and frames start to drop heavily.
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] clock.mov [ 11.89 MiB | Viewed 289 times ]

monty_python

Postby barakooda » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am

Tried with perform mode and such...
All good on my side.
barakooda

Postby monty_python » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks for testing it. Hmm, interesting. Please would it be possible to send you scene used in last video so you could test it on your setup?
monty_python

Postby barakooda » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am

sure
make it simple please.
barakooda

Postby monty_python » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 am

Great, thank you very much.
I am attaching the scene. I have removed everything unnecessary to make it simple. However it became too "light" so I added set of level TOPs to make it "gpu heavy" enough to drop frames constantly. I am also sending video used in this scene, but as long as you have some HAP-Q 1920x1080 25fps footage, feel free to use that instead.

https://we.tl/t-7uePZNDy2d
Thanks once again.

P.S. With this particular scene I could get only about 48-55 fps due to low core clock. Funny thing is that once I double the amount of level TOPs, it becomes "heavy" enough to make core clock stick to 1190Mhz and not drop a single frame.
Attachments
test_60fps.4.toe
(6.35 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
monty_python

Return to Hardware