TOPS Pixel buffer creation failure

Hi,

I’m now getting this error when starting up Touch. Can someone from Derivative tell me what it is? I did install a couple of mainstream video games…(one of which I can remove, the other I’d like to keep) I have also uninstalled the NVidia driver and restarted the computer (this is something I unfortunately have had to do for many months almost every time I restart the computer, because instead of the login screen my screen goes black) - I figured that would fix it if I started Touch without starting any of the games (and nothing related to them seems to be in my windows init file) but I get the same error.

Can you give me pointers on what could cause it?

Thanks!
dani

I don’t think it has to do with any of the games I’ve installed. After a major cleanup of my apps etc I’ve restarted the computer and it gave me the exact same errors as I called Touch from command line with my toefile as parm.

Then I’ve tried to start a previous version of touch from the start menu (69) - no error. I then tried touch 077 pro from the start menu (without loading my file). No error. I then repeated the command line… it loaded my file… no error! I’ve tried a second time and again no error.

I really want to know when that error is generated though, because erratic behavior (call it the first time, error, second and third, no error) like that scares me.

thanks, let me know

d

Touch isn’t affected by other apps installed on the system so don’t worry about that. Install whatever you want.

The error is caused when Touch is unable to use some fundamental OpenGL feature, like creating an offscreen window (which is that this error is saying). 98% chance this error is caused by issues with the graphics driver not being installed correctly yet. This pretty much only happens when OpenGL isn’t insalled correctly. Were the games working when Touch wasnt?

Not always - meaning in the instance I have reported, I had just restarted the computer. Not only that, what I have - sigh - normally to do when my login screen goes black (which has been happening for many months now, nothing to do with the games I’ve installed) is to restart the computer in safe mode, uninstall the NVidia driver (there’s indeed a last minute pop up I see when I do that that says it couldn’t uninstall it properly) then restart the computer: after a minute or so after I login again, the OS seem to find the card, and my screen resolution goes back up by itself, which I assumed means it restores the factory driver, but that may not be what’s really happening.

So in that case the computer had just restarted after uninstalling the driver, the resolution had just been automatically “upped”, and I figured there was a clean slate for Touch, but I still got the error.

I’ll try and see if there are any new drivers on laptop2go… and see how it goes as I’m also tired of this black login screen!

d

Dang, I just downloaded and installed the latest drivers, restarted the computer, and Touch gives me the same error. Could it be a hardware failure?

is there some standard nvidia/open gl error - something I can google to see if others have had the same issue?

tx

d

Here’s a new wrinkle.

running touch from the start menu (empty, basically) never produces a TOPS pb failure

running my toe file version from a few days ago NEVER produces that failure.

running yesterday’s (after I kept working in the file even though I got that message) always produces that message.

What could be causing an error depending on the file I load?

d

Is it still happening? I really don’t know what could be causing that behavior. If you’re really going over your GPU memory limit it’s possible for that to happen also, but since opening an empty causes it, that’s unlikely.

I’d still point to a driver or hardware issue.

I basically went back a couple of versions and it stopped happening. I’ve done more work since and it hasn’t happened - yet. But I also haven’t had time to play my video game since :slight_smile:

I’ll kep you posted
tx
d