WIKI
FORUM
STORE

NVIDIA Flex- tutorials, .toes, tips

General discussion about anything TouchDesigner

Re: NVIDIA Flex- tutorials, .toes, tips

Postby Zethers » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Hello all,
I was wondering if you guys could make it work without commercial licence. I've tried so hard, search on many sites i found and still got that error "failed to load dll". Maybe is the Dll's directory that is wrong? or commercial licence? I've been struggle this for days.
Any help would be more then welcome.
Thanks
Zethers

Postby malcolm » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm

p.mastromauro@ordo.it wrote:
malcolm wrote:Since 2019.10000 series ships with CUDA 9.2, but Flex requires CUDA 8.0, you need to have the cuda 8.0 .dlls next to the Flex .dlls as well.

It's not true,
Simply recompile the project by changing the dependencies by selecting the installed CUDA version and changing the path in the project properties from CUDA_PATH_8.0 to CUDA_PATH.
I have the CUDA 10 version, I have modified and recompiled and it works correctly.

Recompiling the FlexCHOP.dll with CUDA 10.0 won't change the the dependency that the NvFlexReleaseCUDA_x64.dll binary has on cudart64_80.dll. If this is loading, then that .dll must be on your system somewhere for it to find.
malcolm
Staff

Postby malcolm » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Zethers wrote:Hello all,
I was wondering if you guys could make it work without commercial licence. I've tried so hard, search on many sites i found and still got that error "failed to load dll". Maybe is the Dll's directory that is wrong? or commercial licence? I've been struggle this for days.
Any help would be more then welcome.
Thanks

That error isn't license related. It most likely means a required .dll dependency isn't found.
malcolm
Staff

Postby malcolm » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Also it seems like the newest Flex release from Nvidia's github repo has the .dlls compiled against 9.2, which is what the 2019.10000 series of builds is compiled against. So if you can get those (I can't share due to EULA you need to sign with Nvidia), that may make the process simpler.
malcolm
Staff

Postby Zethers » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm

malcolm wrote:Also it seems like the newest Flex release from Nvidia's github repo has the .dlls compiled against 9.2, which is what the 2019.10000 series of builds is compiled against. So if you can get those (I can't share due to EULA you need to sign with Nvidia), that may make the process simpler.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Is there any chance you can share the link?
Also, i tried with the dll's @vinz99 released on GitHub and still not work.
I dont know what else i can do to make it work :(
Zethers

Postby malcolm » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:30 pm

These libraries are on Nvidias gameworks site:
https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks

You likely need to be granted access to it via making a developer login on Nvidia's site, and accepting their EULA for these libraries.
malcolm
Staff

Postby Zethers » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:35 am

malcolm wrote:These libraries are on Nvidias gameworks site:
https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks

You likely need to be granted access to it via making a developer login on Nvidia's site, and accepting their EULA for these libraries.

Alright, with your help i was able to make the error disapear ("failed to load .dll's").
But now, whenever i Press R in perform mode or put the timeline to frame 0, the software stop working.
Also, i cant see the simulation working yet.
Any tip?
Zethers

Postby malcolm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:46 pm

If you upgraded to the new Flex version it's very likely you need to recompile with the new headers.
malcolm
Staff

Postby greenpattern » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:29 am

Hi guys thx for help, I totally forgot about this post.
All this made me think, as a visual artist, I need it to be visual.
messing with code as powerfull as it is , to me its a bit like a blind man trying to take a picture.
looses the essence for me at least, I'm gonna try Notch for a bit as it seems to be a bit more what I am after. I do think Notch has sort ripped loads of cool stuff for Touch designer.

Its sunny out there, I'm just no ready for this level of in depth. time required

I'm sure some people can think in code, depends of your built in human computer.

thx for all help, best of luck!
greenpattern

Postby jacob_stephens » Tue May 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to post a reply for others who may be trying to get this to work. If you go to https://developer.nvidia.com/flex and click the Download button in the upper right you will get a zip file called flex-110.zip. Extract that and go to flex>bin>win64. From there copy these files: cudart64_80.dll, NvFlexDeviceRelease_x64.dll, NvFlexExtReleaseCUDA_x64.dll, and NvFlexReleaseCUDA_x64.dll to Program Files>Derivative>TouchDesigner099>bin. This worked for me with out needing to recompile anything. I'm sure there may be some advantages to recompiling to work with CUDA 9.2 but this is probably the fastest way to get up and running. Hope that helps.

Best,
Jacob
jacob_stephens

PreviousNext

Return to General TouchDesigner Discussion