From Container COMP to null TOP

How would I take the rendered output from a Container COMP and put it inside a null TOP?
Is this even possible?

The problem is I am using a replicator to populate this Container COMP. But in my parent network I am looking for a null TOP.

Another way of asking the same question is, How can you target a null TOP from a Replicator?
container_to_top.toe (8.03 KB)

So you could use a Op Viewer TOP for this.

But I thought instancing might be easier - which turns out - needs a shader or something as currently we can’t actually access the cache TOP via instancing. So it’s not quite as trivial as I thought but have a look. Essentially we need to specify the index of the 2D Texture array which is to be written and offset the w texture coordinate for each instance by the same amount.

With instancing you can add some nice effects, check out the sort SOP and set the Point Sort parameter to Random for some interesting variation.

Let me know if you have any questions
Cheers
Markus
cachelike.tox (2.08 KB)

1 Like

Here’s one approach

Depending on your graphics card, this may or may not be supported as an approach.

This uses the ability of instancing to target individual TOPs rather than an array of textures in a texture3D.

module1_ragan.tox (4.72 KB)

Hi guys, this is a pretty late response but I had been wondering the same thing, getting the output of a containerCOMP to nullTOP and I was able to do it using the opViewerTOP, however the resolution needs to be adjusted.