Trigger CHOP's unconventional re-triggering behavior

Hello all!

Does anyone else think that the trigger chop’s retriggering behavior might need a bit of a fix up? As it is, when retriggering, the attack stage of the ADSR will add its full ‘‘0 to peak value’’ trajectory starting from whichever value it was re-triggered at thus making the envelope remain clipped at the peak value for the remaining time it takes for the attack and decay portion of the envelope to reach a value below the peak value setting.

Re-triggering behavior in a conventional ADSR would retrigger the attack stage as though it had already reached the current value on its way to the peak value.

Just thought I would bring this to attention!

Owen.

Have you check the Chan tab of the parameters, there is both a Complete Envelope option and Remainder option that might help you get the behaviour you want.

Hi Elburz,

No success! I believe the Complete Envelope option deals with whether or not it accepts ‘‘note-off’’ type messages to initiate the release stage of the envelope or whether it goes through all the stages when triggered, regardless.

I’m not sure I really understand what the remainder options do exactly but they don’t seem to change anything regarding the envelope re-triggering causing the values to clip at the peak level.

I suspect that it’s simply been badly implemented in the CHOP but I also wouldn’t be surprised if I were to be proven wrong!

Could you report if this is still the case in the latest official. We improved trigger recently, but I’m not 100% sure I in testing it if it still behaves as you are suggesting.
Thanks!

ha! Just saw this post. All is well! I am thoroughly enjoying the new trigger CHOP!

I think I have the same question as owenkirby. I want the trigger to restart its attack sequence and not resume from wherever it was in decay/sustain/release. I haven’t been able to get it working with the remainder parameter or the others. Could someone explain how to achieve this?

@DavidBraun I’m in the middle of putting together a write-up of the issues that still need work on the Trigger CHOP and I want to make sure I’ve got this sorted correctly. The issue mentioned on the first post has been resolved awhile ago (:100:) but are you describing a sort of “re-trigger from 0” behaviour in which the CHOP always re-triggers as though having completed all its stages?

Yes but now I can’t even remember why I wanted it to work that way. I can see how it’s a subjective choice…

Is it possible to re-trigger a Trigger CHOP from the beginning during the attack phase?

td-trigger

Example above with mouse left button and two triggers.
trigger1: Attack Length 1, Decay Length 0, Sustain Level 0, Release Length 0 (seconds)
trigger2: Attack Length 0, Decay Length 1, Sustain Level 0, Release Length 0 (seconds)

The decay trail is ‘interrupted’ on every click, restarting from 1, but the attack trail carries on uninterrupted no matter how many times the left button is pressed. Is there a way to make it start back from 0 on every click?

Still not sure if it is possible with a Trigger CHOP, but I managed to do what I needed with a Timer CHOP.

td-timer

timer1: Timer Length 1, On Done Re-Initialize