Samson "Conspiracy" Midi control surface led feedback issues

Hey all,

I picked up this midi controller, in I’ll admit a bit of a rush.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SACONSPIR-Conspiracy-Control-Surface/dp/B00TQVZSYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452843369&sr=8-1&keywords=samson+conspiracy[/url]

For input it is working splendid, but there are no programming guides or software out there to facilitate or explain how to setup led feedback.

Is there any good ways to figure this out another way?
Should I try automating the sending of all possible message combinations and see what works?

[url]http://www.derivative.ca/wiki088/index.php?title=MidioutCHOP_Class[/url]

There are a lot of message types that can be sent via midi apparently (I’m fairly new to using midi controllers) I’ve tried mostly note and control messages to no avail.

Thanks!

Hi!

I would try first if the ‘novation Launchpad’ structure works (since I own one).
At the launchpad (version 1) it’s like that:
You push a button, and it will send a note on message.
The pitch identifies which button it was and the velocity is always 127 (it’s not vel sensitive).
You can have the LEDs light up by sending a note on Message with the pitch to choose your button and the velocity will choose the color. (they have a 2 LED thing going on and there is a formula how to calculate the Vel for a given color.)

there is the Launchpad programmers reference (google it) if you need more infos.

I would guess the ‘Pitch chooses which button’ thing might be the same, and the velocity thing will be different.
Just a wild guess.
good luck!

Since I know read you already tried notes.
If the note numbers that are sent when you push a button do not work, I would first try brute forcing all note (on and Off) messages on all channels.
Try to not do it too quickly if you brute force it. I don’t know how old that device is, but the launchpad 1 had some serious buffer issues if you fired too much at it…

Awesome, hrtlacek thanks for your thoughts!
I will try the brute force method more methodically again, and slow it down and post back.

Also going to try the old fashioned route and call up their tech support and see what they actually say :smiley:

Some other thoughts: In the midi mapper dialogue in touch, when I add my device and hit a few buttons I see the typical stream of midi messages being logged coming in.

However when I send out midi messages via midiOut CHOP I see nothing show up in this log window.

Is this problematic? Normal?

Also messages coming in from the midi controller are named as such “ch2ctrl17” This naming convention does not matter if I understand correctly because the prefix’s specified in the midiOut chop override this and are used to format the message properly internally?

So cycled through all of the midi notes / channel combinations with on/off messages to no avail.

Very strange, tech support at Samson and Sweetwater had no idea why it wasn’t working, though the one at Samson said mirroring the note and channel with on/off should turn lights on and off… but as noted that did not work as of yet.

Tried sending messages manually through MIDIOX diagnostic tool, which gave me the most technical visibility so far as to what’s going on under the hood but still nothing lights anything up.

I downloaded trials of Serato Scratch, ableton live, and Traktor dj software and the only one to even recognize the controller was Live, and me and my limited knowledge of live could get nothing lit up there either.

Still wide open to any other ideas, but I’ll keep the thread posted on what I find.

Well Serato, Ableton, Native Instruments, Samson, etc… are all part of a conspiracy I just made up in my head that exists to keep us all from getting full usage of MIDI controllers without using their software. Maybe this controller is just their way of trolling all of us.

Yeahh, I take it I’m not alone then with the midi controller woes.
There isn’t even software to download from Samson, so kinda stuck unfortunately.

Hi!!
My wonderful wife given me a Conspiracy for Xmas :smiley:
I had some problem, it seems the X/Y is not working properly, so I sent back for substitution.
I hope it will come back next week.
Each time I lift my finger from the surface it assigns x and y randomly.
Did you noticed something similar?
I’m very interested on find a way to turn leds on and off and, before to send it, I was building a TD patch to brute force all notes.
Let’s keep in touch, if you want, so we can exchange any kind of useful information
I was also building a little container to obtain all channels from Conspiracy named just like they are in the device.

Hey Simplo,
That sounds like a plan :slight_smile:

When you say x/y are you talking about the touch pad area? If so I haven’t gotten as far as to test that much as I’ve been focusing on feedback lighting but good to know!

I talked to one of the main dev’s at Samson and they’re putting out a firmware update to fix the led feedback bug as well as put out an editor that makes saving / loading presets and other things way easier.

He said in the next 1-2 weeks.

I’ve also put together a brute force touch file, it seems to be working from the midi event dat but no actual feedback so hard to verify.

Not terribly well versed in all the various types of midi messages and such but I have a pretty good basic understanding. Anywhere I’m going wrong in this?
samsonMidi.10.toe (6.01 KB)

Hi Lucasm, as soon as my Conspiracy will be back I will try your patch! :slight_smile:
Great news from youm about the new firmware!
Yes, I mean the touchpad, he had very strange values… I hope it was only mine device to be affected by this issue.
Let’s get in touch so we can going on to discover this device togheter! :slight_smile:
Please, forgive my bad english!

Hi Lucasm,
it seems my Conspiracy is coming home! :slight_smile:
Maybe it will be in my desk in a few days.
Did you had any news about the led’s issue and the new firmware?

Hi Lucam,
a new Conspiracy arrived, but it seems it has same issues of the old one.
I’m thinking it’s a bug inside the Conspiracy project and not a single episode.
The XY touch pad is erratic.
Often it jumps from a value to another while using it and when I lift my finger after using it the numbers often drops down.
For example: if I move my finger to X=80 and Y=80 (taking a look at the values in the display) and then I rise the finger X drops to 35 and Y to 50.
Does your device has same issues?
Thank you
Simone

Hey Simplo,

Yeah so far I’ve had mixed feelings about the controller.

I haven’t played with the touch pad much as of yet as my focus has been using the standard controls which work mostly well though the endless knobs have some built in acceleration which which I’m not a big fan of.

buttons, sliders and everything feel great, layout is nice as I mentioned, but as it is now there’s not a way to program the controller’s led’s to have a simple off state led color, only an on state which is nice but identifying buttons while VJ’ing is harder when they’re all off.

There should be in the next week or two a software utility for programming presets for the controller, so maybe this will bring more flexibility to the led back lighting but I’m not sure.

A firmware update is even further out according to Samson but they didn’t give me a date.

Hi Lucasm, thank you very much for your reply.
Monday I will try to give the Conspiracy back for a refound.
XY is inusable and I found some issue also with knobs. Depending on the speed I use them they are also erratic.
When fine tuning some value related to knob on the DAW (or in TD) the numbers jumps forward and back.
I really think it’s not a good controller and I’m sorry about that because it seems to be the only one with all the controls I need :frowning:
Maybe today I will create a little TD patch to test it again, can I ask you to test it with your Conspiracy just to understand if this issues are common for all devices?
Thank you
Simone

Hey guys, so the new firmware turns the lights on the Conspiracy on after 5 minutes of inactivity, and they cycle through the colors - literally every light in the box. As this is going on, I ran MIDI-OX and the unit is dumping out all sorts of MIDI data, can we use this to get control of these stupid lights? :smiley:

Let’s hope so! Can you post some of the data coming out? Not with my conspiracy right now so can’t test

Yo! I want in. Just picked this controller up a couple days ago. Ran into limitations with Ableton, did my research, hit a dead end & here we all are.

:arrow_right: lnchbreaks@gmail.com - you guys shoot me a quick email. lets communicate and we’ll all get this controller working for us. :slight_smile:

Yeah and I’ve one of the firmware updates but the controller randomly goes into it’s screen saver mode in the middle of use now and I have to go into the menu and reset it…

I’m hoping this is a bug on my end or maybe it just needs another update because that is absolutely a game stopper.

Hey all!
Just got this for Christmas and ran into the same led issue when mapping with traktor. Wondering if any solutions were found?

Thanks