frame rate capped to 60fps?

I’ve been wondering this for a little while. Is it possible to get frame rates higher than 60fps? Even when I hard set the FPS parameter in the touch session to something faster, like 100fps, I still don’t ever see rates get above 60…

In my experience this is linked to the refresh rate of your display - make sure you have a display capable of a faster refresh rate first, and then start cranking up the fps.

You can also turn off v-sync to get a higher rate. However you’ll still only see what your monitor can refresh.

I’ve been developing some networks for the Vive, and 90 fps is the recommended framerate for mitigating motion sickness on HMDs. Is there a way to push 90 fps to the Vive while my primary display only supports 60 fps, or is this happening behind the scenes with OpenVR?

When I run the ViveSimple network, the framerate is reading at 60 fps and the Vive image looks a little stuttery. I have a pretty zippy machine (6-core i7, 980 ti SC+, 64 GB DDR4), so I don’t think I’m bottlenecking there. Is the Vive framerate being limited by my primary display’s supported framerate?

Note: just found this thread and deleted a recent post I made to avoid duplicate questions.

If you have the network editor open it will be vsycned and limited to your monitor rate. If you are in perform mode with the Window COMP set to not draw, or to have vsync off, then the app will run at 90 for the vive.

Awesome, thanks Malcolm.

So there’s no way at all to have a DAT & CHOP network with no visual output run at a higher rate than the monitors refresh rate?

Would really love to be able to get a higher timing resolution for exactly when a button is pressed on a joystick input.

If you use Malcolm’s suggestion of having the Window COMP set to not draw and/or turn off vsync, the process will run at whatever framerate you specify. I’ve included a couple TOE files that help demonstrate this.

Open both fps_check_send.toe and fps_check_receive.toe. fps_check_send is set to 240 fps and should start in perform mode, sharing the current frame rate via Shared Mem Out CHOP. fps_check_receive should receive 240 fps through its Shared Mem In CHOP.
fps_check_send.toe (4.07 KB)
fps_check_receive.toe (3.84 KB)

Awesome, thanks :slight_smile:

I did try this but was stupidly trying to monitor the fps by opening the viewer for the perform CHOP which was limiting it to 60fps as it was drawing to the screen

Found an odd quirk with this. If I open the textport or any DAT viewer in my project with vsync disabled the framerate drops to 60, and stays there even after closing the textport/viewer… Using 088 build 62380