countdown with timer CHOP?

I’ve been working a little with the Timer CHOP, and I love that I can get timecode information from an info DAT and display it with a text TOP!

Is there a relatively simple way to get the timer CHOP to run the timecode backwards though? I’ve done some playing around with math and count CHOPs and text TOPs to make some of my own, but I feel like I might be making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Best,

Adam

Update: I figured one method of doing what I was looking to do, but I still feel like there might be something less complicated I’m missing.

I used two timers, one attached to a math CHOP to invert the count. The value of the math CHOP drives the length of the second timer. Seems to be what I was looking for, but again, just checking to see if there was a simpler method. Example attached.

Thanks!

Adam
countdown.toe (5.44 KB)

You can use this component that converts seconds (fed to third input) to a timecode in a DAT, in various forms, remarkably from 2009:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=864&p=3436&hilit=time+code#p3436

So yes, get the Length from the parameter via op(‘timer2’).par.length, get the current seconds by turning on the Timer expressed in Seconds on the output page, subtract as you do and feed that to the timecode component. Use a Select DAT to pick the format you want, and feed that to the Text TOP.

You can also use the python members of the TImer CHOP:

derivative.ca/wiki088/index. … CHOP_Class

At some point, we will convert timecode.tox to python, allow for input expressed in frames, and re-post.

Rad, Thanks Greg!

thanks for the countdown timer ! i made a little ui for it :arrow_right:timer.toe (6.96 KB)

In gratitude for the above TOE file (I was in need of an instant solution), here is a DMX controllable version.
Controllable attributes are listed in the “DMXAssigns” table.
Change the DMX number in column 0 of that table to change your patch.

Thanks again to this very generous community,
Rodd McLaughlin
dmxTimer.toe (9.06 KB)

1 Like