WIKI
FORUM
STORE

splines- SVG TOP (or SOP?)

General discussion about anything TouchDesigner

splines- SVG TOP (or SOP?)

Postby gardyll » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:18 pm

howdy.

I've always wanted to have more options for importing and dealing with splines in Touch Designer. There's so many uses for custom splines in TD, but I always have to create convoluted workflows to get them in. For example, I use 3ds Max, where I can import an Adobe Illustrator or SVG spline, and then manipulate, extrude, etc.

I know I can build them in TD's geometry modeler, and I do use it for simple edits. But to create complex splines, a program like Illustrator or Inkscape is much more desirable.

One workflow I use to get splines into TD is this- create spline in AI, import to 3ds Max. Extrude to mesh. Export as FBX. Import to TD. Use delete SOP to remove points from extrusion, leaving only the spline points. Convert to CHOP. Use limit SOP to generate lines between points. That's a lot of steps.

3ds Max can export FBX and OBJ formats, or course. The OBJ exporter in Max even supports splines- but they wont import into TD.

I'm super psyched about the SVG TOP. But I wonder if it's possible to think about using SVGs as SOPS as well. It would be so great to be able to import splines directly.

Any thoughts?
gardyll

Re: splines- SVG TOP (or SOP?)

Postby MXZEHN » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:19 am

Hi,

i face a simliar problem.
It seems kind of impossible to import drawings / splines in TD.
It seems equally impossible to work properlyx with the Model node,
as it A) crashes very often and B) Scaling relationships to other Objects
in the scene seem to change everytime you open a curve, even in different instances of the model node,
so it is almost impossible (for me) to draw a decent camera aninmation path for an existing landscape geometry...

DXF, AI, FBX. None of the curves seems to come in....
Actually i find it a bit irritating that the only way to get a curve should be to run it through CHOPs or to trace it from a bitmap. Serious workflow hinderance!

Best
Stefan
+49 179 5265105
MXZEHN

Postby raganmd » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:20 pm

One option that I've been looking at is exporting paths as XML - this is really all an SVG file is afterall, and then doing a bit of parsing to extract the points and then use an Add SOP to build a path.

I've successfully done this with mesh reconstruction, and UV offsetting - so it's worth exploring.
raganmd

Postby elburz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:12 pm

We did a strange workaround on our last project that worked ok where we drew the splines as polygons in C4D and added a point that was obviously not part of the spline that closed the poly. Then we imported the polygons into touch, deleted the one obvious point that wasn't part of the spline and you're left with the line. Was useful for creating paths for geos to follow.
--
Elburz Sorkhabi
Creative + Technology
nVoid Art-Tech Limited
http://nvoid.com
elburz

Postby drumlerdidel » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Still no better solution for importing Splines in TD?
drumlerdidel

Postby ben » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 pm

You can try the new Alembic SOP which supports curves, it is in the experimental 2017.30000+ branch.

https://www.derivative.ca/099/Downloads ... mental.asp
ben
Staff

Return to General TouchDesigner Discussion