TouchPlayer Standalone installer?

Is there still one?

BTW - the TouchPlayer wiki page has a 404 link to a 77 installer.

Bruce

Think you install it via the main installer, don’t think there’s a separate installer. Might just have to remove any shortcuts to 088 and only leave the ones for Player visible. Then change .toe files to use Player as default.

Thanks, but I want to give an installer to someone else - non-PC people. A whole Touch install isn’t ideal.

Can I just send TouchPlayer?

Bruce

Ah, I’m not sure. Its worth a shot but I have doubts that TouchPlayer would work without all of TouchDesigner being installed.

Yes, I’m hoping that someone from Derivative will clarify, especially since there could be licensing issues with just passing a binary (but asking clients to do a full install is unreasonable).

Bruce

The TouchPlayer requires the same installed components as TouchDesigner, as they both in essence run the same underlying engine.
The major difference being, TouchPlayer does not require the editing interface.
In addition, the TouchPlayer does not require a licence.
Hope that clarifies it,
Cheers
Rob

But there’s no standalone installer? Will that be rectified?

We’re currently evaluating the usefulness of a separate TouchPlayer installer.
To a non-PC person, they would still require installing an application, and double clicking a toe that you would send them, that would start in perform mode.
Saving a toe as “Private” for example, will only launch it in perform mode, and will exit when you escape.
Would that be sufficient?
Rob

[EDIT:] Currently you would need a licence to open in perform mode in TouchDesigner.
If you have no licence, and want to force player-mode, you’d have to right click on the toe file and select ‘Open With TouchPlayer’.
Agreed though, perhaps this can be streamlined.

Thanks for pointing this out.

The ideal would be an app that can run in place (I’m a Mac guy) or be installed.

A TouchPlayer only installer - no samples, player only would seem like it would work. Can’t it tell Windows ‘I can open .toes’?

I’m really not very happy about getting a client to install full TouchDesigner just to see some work. I’d rather an install with just the player, even if it’s the same size!

After all, if they install once, we can send multiple tests and demos.

I know of people using 077 where the sales guys have TouchPlayer installed to show clients visualizations.

Bruce

Resurrecting this thread.

For my purposes, if we could get another installer that was exactly the same as the current full-on TouchDesigner installer, but literally the only difference was that in the installer’s advanced options, the “make default for toe files” checkbox under “TouchPlayer” was already checked. That way I could send them a link (or the file itself) to this other installer, and they just have to press yes next agree like everyone is used to doing and then all they have to do is double click this file I send them and it will open in TouchPlayer without having to explain to them how to re-associate a file extension to a different executable or find the TouchPlayer executable or find the “Open With” option in their right click menu which is always filled with a bunch of other junk etc etc…

It seems to never fail that when I try to get somewhat less technical people to find that “Make TouchPlayer the default for toe files” checkbox in the advanced options dialog of the installer, they forget or don’t see it or whatever and then get confused why it doesn’t work afterwards. Everyone is very well trained to blindly click yes next agree and install things, that’s why we have so many computer viruses and data leaks in the world.

Is there any way to modify an installer exe to make that checkbox start as already checked? Maybe even just modify the filename of said installer and the installer checks to see what it’s filename is when it starts up to decide if it should make Designer or Player the default? Or maybe if the installer executable doesn’t see a pre-existing TouchDesigner installation, it will automatically pre-check that checkbox, and those of us in the know can go uncheck it during install? (And those of us who are just upgrading versions will already have an install that it detects and thus doesn’t do that)

Just throwing out ideas. Obviously a slimmer pre-compiled exe for each TOE file would be super cool, but I understand that’s a big ask. Just for demoing stuff for people, I don’t mind making them install an entire software package, as long as I don’t have to make them look around for a button other than “Yes” “Next” or “Agree”…