Surfsect & Project SOP tutorials? Are there bugs?

Hi, I’m trying to generate a 2d curve/shape/consistent pointlist from passing a plane through a 3D object.

*** EDIT: I have a workaround for my project, but this issue with SOPs still remains. ***

I made a working version of two 3D objects intersecting, but I could not clean up the points or simplify the process enough. I only need 2D data in the end: consistent point relationships (ie, tx34 = 12 @ frame 208).

1. I wired up like the Project SOP entry on the wiki, but nothing output, even though I could see the result as faint blue pts/lines in the preview window.
  2. surfsect also does not work like it is described in the wiki, and I can’t get output. I have tried setting all different geometry types, including nurbs and splines as wiki says it prefers them.
  3. I am able to achieve this in 3d using boolean, but it requires that I use a box instead. This creates many artifact points. Since they are dynamic, their numbers constantly change, making analysis meaningless. I tried even skinning to keep consistent pointgroups, but nothing helped.

Are there step by step video tutorials on these? Are there known issues?

Thanks in advance.

_Project-CHOP-test.toe (6.56 KB)

I consigned myself to try to work with the 3D boolean operation. I got it to sort of work with lots of kludging and post-cleanup, which drains valuable processor cycles. This is still an open case, but my current problem is solved-ish. If anyone has other suggestions, I’m all ears.

“Yields falsehoods when preceded by its quotation” yields falsehoods when preceded by its quotation,

The Mighty Doctor Illusion

Thanks for the report, unfortunately there are known issues with the Project SOP and any SOPs that rely on creating “Profile Curves”.

Thanks for the reply, Ben! I saw this post had been glanced at, but not replied to, and was beginning to wonder if it was PEBCAK. For anyone else with this issue, look into the Sort SOP.

I really love TD and am so grateful to have found it. I’m merely experimenting with aesthetics at the moment. However, I’m able to play with ideas I’ve had for decades, and could never do before. I have been so happy playing with it in the past few weeks. Thank you thank you thank you.

Doctor Illusion

Any news on this?
Any workarounds for creating profile curves or trimming as easily as the example on the Profile SOP wiki page?

No, we haven’t had any time to address profile curves.

Sorry for nagging again, any chance this is going to be fixed soon?
Do I understand correcty that some of these SOPs are simply broken? Could we get a list of broken SOPs in the meanwhile?

Hmmm, I’ve been trying to figure out the project and trim sop today. Perhaps it’s a lost cause at the moment?

Yes, profile curves are not working still, sorry Ennui :cry:

any news on this?

bump? :slight_smile:

Repeating the Question two years later: Still bugs?
Greetings, yox.

Same issue, profile curves aren’t fixed yet so the SOPs that require them… don’t work. :neutral_face:

I cannot get this working either. It seems there maybe a great deal of broken SOP tools. Anyword on when these will be functional?