5 Kinects hooked up to one computer.....

It looks like the newly-released update to the kinect sdk might make it easier for people with multiple kinects by speeding up the toggling between the IR. I’m assuming that this is so that kinect#1 is not looking at the projected pattern from kinect#2,3 etc. while it’s trying to figure out where everything is.

rod.

Glad I asked.

So after hours of digging around on the internet I have found the solution…
newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6816115104

“The RocketU 1144A is an external 4-port, each dedicated USB 3.0 port delivers transfer speeds of 5Gb/s, for a combined bandwidth up to 20Gb/s”

:slight_smile:

Also looking at getting one of these and mounting it behind bar as the control system.
mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-magic-touch

Do you think I will have any issues using touch with this monitor if it’s just basic touch panel stuff (sliders and buttons)? My plan is to build a mini tower using a micro atx with 8gb ddr3, i7 2600k, usb pcie card, and a graphics card. What I’m wondering is how much graphics card power I really need if the only monitor that is going to be hooked up is just this 10" touch panel. This computer will be running a few tops in the background but the overall LED matrix I am using for patterns is only around 30 x 30 pixels and the kinect stuff is gonna be using point averages and will be cropped as a top before it turns into points/geometry. Only using about a third of the actual depth output of each kinect.

I was thinking this
newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814127565

Not a video card expert though…and keep in mind it’s gotta fit in a mini case. The computer is going to be sitting on top of a false ceiling above bar so that I am not trying to run a bunch of USB extensions to Kinects which doesn’t always work well from my experience.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on this?

Being that I currently have a Kinect for windows I will be able to report back and let you know if I could get five working at once but for this project I am just gonna plan on using 4 to be safe.

Got six of them running on one system except one of them is an Xbox Kinect. Getting five to run together in one instance of touch though with no problems
movieout.0.jpg

great to know that you got it working fine matt1up!

the framerate is OK on all of them?

are you using that Rocket USB PCI-E card?

I am not using that Rocket card that I had mentioned.

The motherboard I got has 3 usb buses on it and I added three more standard USB cards.
I forgot the exacts on the framerate but only because it wasnt an issue at all…with just the 5 kinect depth tops all open and running on the high resolution setting I was still sitting right around 60fps. Slowed a little when I opened up all of the kinect color tops.

Im not sure how the xbox kinect varies but all six kinects were showing up in the hardware device manager without any warnings. Im ordering another windows kinect though now that I know five will work…so I will be able to try 6 KforWin within the next few days here.

Just to clarify, you are using 4-5 Kinects all in one .toe file using the built-in Kinect TOPs?

This is exciting, we didn’t think that was doable with the Microsoft SDK.

1 Like

Correct. Gonna try for a 6th Kforwin later today when I have a sec

I got six of them running…there is no 7th one on the way :cry:

Hey that’s really interesting.

I wondered about the Kinect chop and its possibility to recognize up to 6 peoples independently. Is it possible to extend the amount of people that are recognized by using multiple Kinects or is it limited by its SDK?

matt,

curious what frame rates and resolutions you are using for the kinect tops? if they all are on highest quality what is the maximum Touch frame rate avg if you set touch to 60+fps ?

Is there any reason this would not work with 2 Xbox Kinects?

Edit: Scratch That. All is working just fine now.

Would be great to know what kind of USB cards you’re using in the machines to get your extra busses.

1 Like

elbruz Maybe I didn’t understand yo uquestion but - Kinect will work stable only on one usb bus per device.

you can buy one of this kind for laptop:

amazon.com/GMYLE-2-Port-PCMC … 2.0+PCMCIA

or
anyone of this : one for each kinect
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 … nc&LH_FS=1
sonnettech.com/product/alleg … s_usb.html

It can be interesting if there is one card which include independent processor for each usb connection… I never tried one like this.
this could be the best choice :
amazon.com/StarTech-com-Inde … CI+Express

or this one

amazon.com/StarTech-com-Inde … CI+Express

P.S how i`m email subscribe to all of derivative forum sections ?
I want to be more involve here !

Any idea if a thunderbolt to USB converter would work?

I’m wondering if a dock such as this: belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055/
would function as an extra USB bus for an additional kinect, or possibly even 3 kinects due to the high speed of thunderbolt?

What about a thundebolt to PCIe?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

I haven’t tried any thunderbolt devices under Windows. A big problem is if devices even have Windows drivers available and there isn’t much info on this for most Mac-based devices. This Belkin says it only supports OSX, so no guarantee it will work with Windows.

I’d love to hear anybody’s success stories using Thunderbolt devices in Windows, as I’m also interested in a thunderbolt to USB3 hub if there are any cross-platform ones available.

I just got one of these:
StarTech.com 4 Port PCI Express (PCIe) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card Adapter w/ 4 Dedicated 5Gbps Channels - UASP - SATA / LP4 Power
It has 4 independent USB buses. Windows recognizes 4 kinect v2s and there are no errors. Is there a way to select the kinect v2 device number?

Hi! Have you find solution how to recognize it?

Hey @matt1up your LED set up is looking really cool! Which Kinect versions are you using for this?

Not in touchdesigner, we ended up using point cloud library.

1 Like

matt1up
Could you please explain how you make it work?
Couldnt find any solution around.