quick feedback on td69 - couple of things

bookmarks are not ported over from past projects.

My anti-virus - as I tried to click (or unclick, it was laggy) on a button I had from a past 68 project) complained about attempted registry access (I’ve verified the process is touchdesigner) - that’s not cool:

Process is trying to create value in system registry key that belongs to group System Security.\These keys control computer security settings.

You are advised to grant access to these settings only if you are sure you want to allow these settings to be modified. Otherwise it is better to deny access.

Key: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3875303557-153896691-1766595868-1004\KBFJSUEYSDBVKXH\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Value: HideFileExt

New data(32-bit number):
0x00000000 (0)

That is unintentional and a little scary! What Virus checker are you using? Assuming you rejected the request, is this reproducible? How do you verify it is TouchDesigner?

thx

This is actually intentional. You’ll notice in our in the file explorer, that we have $TOUCH as one of the top buttons on the left. Also you can override these buttons with $PLACES0 $PLACES1 etc.
To make this happen we need to modify some registry settings. But, ofcourse I wouldn’t want to edit the real registry, so I use a windows feature that allows me to create a virtual copy of parts of the registry. This feature creates a copy of the registry that only the calling process can see, and the changes get discard when the app closes (even if it crashes). This copy override’s the ‘real’ values that are actually set in the registry, but only for particular app (even if other apps try to read those values at the same time as Touch has modified them)

Then I modify these values to make the dialog look the way we want. In this case, the value you are seeing is the option that makes windows hide/show known file extensions in the file browser (along with other options).

You can see HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3875303557-153896691-1766595868-1004\ in your registry, but if you look for KBFJSUEYSDBVKXH\ within that key, you’ll notice its not there. That random string is the my little area of the registry I’m using. It’s temporary and can not affact anything out there other than the particular instance of Touch. It get creates when you open a file dialog, and deleted when you close it.

So, you can just ignore that virus check error, its a false positive.
This feature has been around for a long time, have you changed your virus checker recently?
I’ll see if I can move this registry key to somewhere virus checkers won’t complain about it.

Sorry about the alarm Dani, I didn’t realize thats how it was working.

I’m using Kaspersky anti-virus, which is pretty good about these things (except it grounds my system to a halt for about 3 secs every 30 secs or so, which is a pain).

Thing is that in order for me to keep working when those warnings come up I need to add touch to the list of trusted apps which are allowed that kind of actions. Of course I trust Derivative’s good intentions - and the fact that you deem this necessary - but it’s unsettling everytime I classify an app as a trusted app - more of a psychological thing I suppose :slight_smile:

Ok I was able to move where this key gets created in the registry so it shouldn’t alert your anti-virus anymore.