Font Tricks

Hi
Anyone have a trick for switching (say) to italic mid text, using a text TOP ??

Thanks

M

Not sure what you mean by mid, but if you create a constant chop and drag the channel onto the Italic checkbox in the Text Top, you can turn on/off Italics by switching the CHOP from 0 to 1

anyone have any new advice on this? I think mark means int eh middle of a block of text, like this or this or this

My hack isn’t very elegant, but I just did a project where I did something like this. I just made 2 text fields, one of which was my main block of text. A second block, the same length, with nothing but spaces.

When I wanted to switch to another color, I swapped that character for an empty space, and then filled it in on the 2nd block. (Using Python, outputting to a text dat.)

Again, this isn’t very elegant. If you try to bold the second block, it won’t line up properly. Using a monospace font can help.

The next thing I’ll investigate is some kind of font library in GLSL. And possibly integrating Processing or OpenFrameworks, where I believe text is a lot easier to work with.

instagram.com/p/BgXbx8xnR5H … rolestudio

I’m still new to TD, and interested in doing more with typography, so I’m all ears for other suggestions!

Another option is to use the Webrender TOP which is actually a full Chromium browser, which you can use to open a local html file (which you can write dynamically in Python if needed) where you can style all the fonts&markup&colors&layout you want in CSS, and render the page as a TOP in the resolution you need with a transparent background to use in your TOP compositing chain.
You can also call any Javascript fuction with the executeJavaScript method in the webrenderTOP Class, to change any layout/css/html on the page dynamically in sync with your TouchDesigner events.