Solved MacBook Overheating, Long Vsync issue

Hello All,

A while back I had a really strange issue on my Macbook Pro Unibody where it would over heat and I would get major lag running TouchDesigner. Touch PerfMon would show crazy long Vsync times and I couldn’t really figure out why. I finally ran into a fix that I think is working and I wanted to share with anyone else who may have this problem.

forum.libcinder.org/#Topic/23286000001015220

There is a way to get around the problem by changing some setting in nVidia’s driver settings and there is also some code that could possibly be integrated with TouchDesigner to make this issue go away for good. Let me know if this helps anyone else. So far I’ve been suffering alone, but now my Mac is running cool and smooth.

Thanks,
Jacob

Hi Jacob!
I found your post like the closest solution to my overheating problem… it’s a pity I don’t understand a single word about Vsync, C++ and so on! :unamused:

Not sure if my problem is the same, but my Macbook Pro 15" mid-2014 start to overheat even when I open TouchDesigner with an empty network, even deleting project1, perform and local.
It only gets cool when I switch off cooking, the I|O button. Not so useful.

I’m using macOS Mojave 10.14.2
2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I leave this post here, like the message in a bottle of a castaway, hoping that someday somebody will read it and find it a meaning! :neutral_face:

Thanks,
Gonzalo

Hi Gonzalo.

What Version of Touch Designer are you using? And maybe your issue is related to this post:
[url]GPU instantly under maximum load TD099#2018.27300 Mac - Bugs - TouchDesigner forum

Can you simply check in your Activity Monitor if your graphics card is being maxed out by just having started Touch Designer? (in the menu bar under ‘Window’ you can enable ‘GPU History’)

Cheers and hope this helps to find the bug to finally squash it :wink:
*N

Hi,
I’m seeing very high CPU and memory usage upon opening blank slate Touch Designer. I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to explicitly tell TD to use that GPU rather than the onboard one. Any ideas on if the fix you mention would alleviate the issue and have TD run a bit smoother?

Any help would be so grateful for, thanks ahead of time.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB

FYI double checked using [url]https://gfx.io/[/url] that I am in fact using Radeon with TD