mp4 encoding errors

just wanted to try the new mp4 encoding and it doesn’t seem to work. I appended a mouvieout TOP to default moviein TOP, set it to h264 and set record to 1

red error “failed to create hardware encoder (3)”

Using libav and compatibility rendering is disabled. Any ideas?

Thats a message directly from the video driver. What version are you using? We are finding that 195/196’s video encoding is broken.

so what driver do you recommend?

If you need Nvidia’s H264 encoding it seems like you need 191.xx

I’m trying to connect video device in TOP to video stream out TOP and receive the following error:
Error: Failed to create hardware encoder, error: NVENC that devices pass by the client is not supported"
I have NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Windows 8
TouchDesigner 088 (64 bit) Build 56020 Educational license

Anyone has any suggestions?

If you go to Dialogs->Variable/Macros, go to the ‘Built-in’ section and scroll down to ‘SYS_GFX_CARD’, what does it say there? I’m wondering if the Intel chip on that laptop is being used.

It’s possible this issue is Windows 10 specific. We currently use the 4.0 version of the Nvidia H264 encoder and only in the recently released 6.0 version is Windows 10 officially supported. It’s too late to make such a change in the 50000 Official, but in the 61000+ series of builds I’ve upgraded the encoder to 6.0.

I’m getting the same error on a Surface Book (with the NVidia Geforce “940” GPU in the base, but not the newer beefier 965M “performance base”)

Latest TD (088 62160) and latest windows 10 pro / nvidia driver (at least from microsoft…)

it might be that this gpu just doesn’t support that since microsoft slightly customized this gpu for the Surface Book…

That change didn’t end up making it into 088, it’s in 099 though. Hopefully that will work

Hi,
I have the same problem : “Failed to create hardware encoder, NVENC that devices pass by the client is not supported.” in a movefilein TOP when encoding a video in H264.

In the Dialogs / Built-in : SYS_GFX_CARD is : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2.
I’m using the 099 td version…with window 11.

It is quite recent… Thanks for suggestions…