360 video to Oculus through Touch

I’m looking for a way to play a 360 video and watch it live in an oculus rift VR headset.

I just say the Oculus Rift node in top and I’m just wondering if I can find some tutorials or just find some preset 360 video to oculus node for touch. The Oculus node can only connect the gear to touch, and I’m pretty bad in sop to make a 3D scene with my footage mapped on a sphere box and all. And then make the 2 cameras follow the movements of the headset …

I did a quicksearch to find documentations, but I didn’t find anything.

Anyone have a suggestion on how I can have it easily ?

The Sphere SOP has a mode for equirectangular texture coordinates. So you’d map your video onto a sphere, and you put yourself right in the middle of that sphere. You can use some of the Oculus or Vive components that are in the palette to get started with the devices.

Do you guys intend on improving the 360 video component even further in the future btw?

I’ll try this.

Interesting question

Hi @malcolm I tried your trick however the quality of the 360 footage is bad and I got distorted at the top of the sphere. Any solution or perhaps I have missed something?

Cheers
Patrick

it depends on your content. If it’s proper equirectangular projection, then it’ll look correct when using equirectangular coordinates in the Sphere SOP.

1 Like