Animating individual instances

Hi,

I am fairly new to TouchDesigner so my apologies if my terminology is off. I am trying to have objects follow a path created by an animation COMP when they are created by a trigger linked to an Event CHOP.

I have connected the Event CHOP adsr to the geo sx and sy instance.

I am running into problems as I cannot trigger the creation of a new object and have it start at the beginning of the animation path. I have tried referencing the animation’s tx and ty to the geo’s tx and ty instancing, a transform SOP and a transform TOP (after the render).

This may be a simple fix, but I can’t seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
animatinginstance.4.toe (6.9 KB)

Several ways to go about this - generally you want to use your ADSR to lookup through your animation channels.

Set your AnimationCOMP to output full range and feed it into the second input of a LookupCHOP. Set your EventCHOP attack time to the length of your animation and feed it into the first input of the LookupCHOP. Then simply use that as your instance data…

In fact, I believe if you look at the EventCHOP ‘OP Snippets’ there are several different methods that you may find useful.

Seeing as you’re somewhat new - as a rule of thumb you should avoid animating SOPs directly as they are bound to your CPU and are quite slow. Given the option it is best to either set the reference to the GEO parameters or use something like instancing or shaders - as these are computed on the GPU and perform much better. ‘Always be CHOPing’ as they would say… :mrgreen:

I’d suggest joining the TD Discord server as there’s lots of information flowing and helpful people answering questions there as well…

td-discord.com/
event_instances.toe (7.51 KB)

Thanks so much! This worked perfectly :slight_smile: