Real time Audio device in.

Hello,

I am trying to synchronise live audio with lighting in realtime. I have found touch designer is excellent for analysis of audio to produce effects for lighting and it is working well when timing is not an issue.

I have hit a wall with what I am trying to do. The limit is the audio device in CHOP and latency problem. I cannot reduce latency between touch designer and the audio input to less than 15ms ish. This seems to be because the “audiodevicein CHOP” relies on a link to the touchdesigners FPS, 60Hz which is too slow for real time audio analysis and causes crackling in the audio information.

To use the audiodevicein CHOP effectively, I suspect I need a FPS of around 350ish for close to real time audio analysis which is not realistic.

Can the Audio device chop be changed somehow to allow for proper analysis of audio in real-time? Somehow have this single chop processing at 6 times faster than the set frame rate?

Thanks,
Anthony.

2 Likes

here is some pro tips I learned from a better pro:

go to the /perform op

set 'V-Sync mode" to “disabled”

then set “draw Window” to false

then set your FPS to something really high

once you go to Perform mode, touch will be able to run much faster then the screen GPU provides and you can do audio stuff there.

I would pipe over anything useful using a TouchOUT/TouchIN OP into a different touchdesigner process that can do the visual rendering.

3 Likes

A general question regarding this issue: Would it make sense to use Max/MSP for audio analysis and send the desired values over to TD via OSC, or would TD still overwrite the incoming OSC signals with the fps and cause another delay?

You can use udpSend from Max to UDP in DAT in TD. Since OSC is used as another layer on top of UDP connections the latency might be similar. Try to send small packets at first so you can compare which one you prefer. Maybe this video will help you [How to send OSC data from Touchdesigner to Resolume #resolume #touchdesigner - YouTube]