OSC Communication with Wired and Wireless Devices

Hello.

I’ve been trying to send OSC out of a Max Plugin for Ableton from My Macbook to my Desktop computer (which is running Touchdesigner).

Here’s the setup:

Macbook (Running Ableton Live + Osc Out Plugin) - Connected to Router via Wireless
Osc Out Plugin is set to the local IP of the desktop and a matching port
Windows Desktop (Running Touchdesigner with OSCin) - Connected to Router via Wire
Oscin is set to the local IP of the Macbook and matching port

I can send OSC on the Macbook to localhost with Touchdesigner running on the Macbook, but I can’t seem to get it to send to the desktop even though its on the same network.

Is there some kind of limitation I’m not aware of in this situation?

Check your windows firewall settings - that’s a common place these things get held up.

I have turned off the firewall completely during all of this but if there are any specific settings to mess with I haven’t done that. I also pinged from the Macbook to the Windows successfully with Terminal just to make sure I’m not totally blocked out.

Check your wifi router firewall so it opens the ports you’re using for OSC.

The OSCin CHOP doesn’t need to know the IP of the sender (as long as you use the UDP protocol). By the way, the “network address” parameter should be greyed out if the “protocol” parameter is set to “Messaging (UDP)”. So where did you specified the network address ?

At first I left it greyed out but it didn’t work that way so I switched it to multicasting to try a different IP. By default it’s just greyed out and on ‘localhost’. Whenever I did switch the IP I would change it back to the Messaging (UDP) setting.