tdAbleton feature request - one to many mapping

Currently the tdaMapper supports mapping one value in touch to one value in ableton. It would be great if it supported mapping one value in touch to many values in ableton, like how some of the Max For Live devices allow for, such as the LFO:

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.56.34 PM.png

In practice you can map one value in touch to many on the tdMapper component, but that couples the values to tightly to individual controls in Ableton. Designing the integration this way is further challenging by the fact that the names of the mapped controls in Ableton are not visible on the tdMapper component.

I would rather have all these mappings done within Ableton, for the reason that that’s where the sound design happens. If you think of a parallel with modular synthesis, this would be equivalent to having one input control voltage mapped to many different modules.

I’m currently able to accomplish the above by sending midi control values and mapping them in ableton to many different knobs. It would be great if this could be accomplished via OSC with a nice UI in tdableton.

I just found something that makes this possible!

The MultiMap max for live device:

Problem solved :slight_smile:

Hey Danoved!

Just FYI the multi map m4l device as it currently operates has a bad habit of loading your set and removing mappings after closing and opening ableton. Just something to be wary of :slight_smile:

@Paikowsky yes I ran into so many bugs with the multimap:

• When you delete a mapping, and close and reopen Ableton often the mapping will come back.
  • When loading Ableton with the audio hardware temporarily disabled - all mapping min maxes get set to 0.
  • If a knob in a vst is mapped to, and the knob disappears, the multimap remains bound to it. So when you add a new knob to the VST the multimap hijacks control of it.

This is among the many bugs and frustrations I ran into with the multimap. However it seems like the best solution for now.

@danoved

If you have the time, I would recommed to submit a bug report to both ableton and cycling74.
Though, I feel your pain… it shouldn’t be happening in the first place!

For what it’s worth, if you start live with audio off and everything in multimap seems to be at 0, after you select an audio device again, you can delete the multimap and ctrl+z, that it will show the correct min/max definitions.
Audio off (no selected audio device) in ableton has the weirdest effects…

Best