Z-Depth cameras anyone?

I’m looking for a Z-depth camera. I’ve seen one over a year ago at CES in Vegas, from some
French company (they were demoing a boxing video game where the camera could pick up your arms going forward towards the screen, or your body stepping fwd/back)

but I can’t find it on-line.

Does anyone have links to zdepth cameras? Better yet, has anyone used one in Touch?

tx!d

You’ve probably seen this one
mgestyk.com/

which is based on this one
3dvsystems.com/

If you manage to get a preproduction/beta sample unit, let me know how it goes

I’ve been looking at the 3DV camera for a few projects, one of which would be in Touch. But as yet haven’t been able to get a prototype.

I’m going to talk with them and any other companies I can find at the game developers conference in a few weeks, I’ll post what I find out. Seems like there could be some fun stuff to do with one of these cameras in Touch.

here’s another link:

gesturetek.com/3ddepth/introduction.php

not sure if it’s the same camera.

some of these demos seem to suggest that these cameras have a very limited field and very limited ability to respond correctly. In some, you can clearly see the camera is pointed towards the floor and the actor’s hands are the only thing in the field of view.

I’m hoping to find a camera that will give a decent z-depth perception - not too accurate but able to distinguish fairly large movements like stepping foward, raising an arm, turning one’s head. All things probably that I would be able to get with a regular 2d camera angled properly, which is our fallback.

If you have the budget, Point Grey make gorgeous cameras…

[url]Machine Vision – Area Scan Cameras | Teledyne FLIR

the SDK can give you a live grayscale depthmap that you could feed to touch via shared memory (or just screengrab TOP from their demo program if you don’t want to code). you can use that to segment your image into planes according to where stuff is.

[url]http://www.ptgrey.com/products/triclopsSDK/samples.asp[/url]

not cheap though, but would work easily with Touch (if I can borrow one from somewhere, I’ll post about it).

Rod.

and they have a new Ladybug available (Ladybug3)
[url]http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug3/samples.asp[/url]