Skybox from Cubemap TOP?

Hi world,

I’m trying to make a simple skybox – I have a full 360 panorama that’s connected in 6 pieces to a Cubemap TOP (screenshot attached). I’ve been stabbing in the dark for a long time at how to properly attach this map to a material → geometry (or just the rear of a camera’s render). To be clear, I’m NOT looking to impose an environment map on a Phong MAT (as shown here: derivative.ca/wiki088/index … ubemap.tox), but rather I’m looking to create an always-visible background for my scene. As far as I can tell, there are no available examples / resources online demonstrating this; I’m hopeful there’s some relatively simple solution I’m missing here, just checking to learn what best practices are for implementing skyboxes in touch. Thank you!

My usual approach is to place a Geo COMP located at 0,0,0 containing a Sphere SOP. Set texturing of the Sphere SOP to equirectangular inside. Apply your skybox texture (Projection TOP can be useful here) with a Constant MAT to the Geo. Now place your Camera at 0,0,0 so it is inside the sphere.

there’s an example in the HTV Vive Development Environment
derivative.ca/Forum/viewtop … =20&t=9658
(look in the World COMP at the bottom, in there’s a Skybox COMP or something like that )

1 Like

AHH! The Projection TOP was my missing key, and this HTC thread is awesome as well - @nettoyeur your answer made my day thanks so much!

You can also use a Box SOP with Cube Map coordinates on it. That avoids the Projection TOP and the loss of information you get from converting from Cube to Equirectangular