TouchDesigner with Go Pro Hero 4 Session for live visuals

Hi everyone,

I would try to make a simple visual project for a musical performance in my studio, recording audio and video separately but showing them live.
The visual I trying to make is really similar to the Richie Hawtin’s CLOSE show concept.
For those ones who don’t know, he records himself performing with mixers, midi controllers and modular synths …

This is a pic
clubtoclub.it/it/wp-content/upl … ELIVE1.jpg

To do this I just have :
MacBook Pro 15 running TouchDesigner 099 Pro 64-Bit Build 2017.14220
Go Pro Hero 4 Session with a micro USB input connection

Hoping you can help me,

Steev

Hey Steev,

Do you know if the gopro supports streaming video over the USB interface? I don’t usually see HD streaming over USB unless it’s USB3.

I’d bet that you need to use the micro/mini HDMI port out of your gopro, into a capture solution like the blackmagic HDMI → Thunderbolt (bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … _BwE&smp=n), then into your macbook as thunderbolt. From there you should be able to capture the stream with a video device in TOP.

I know that’s a bit cumbersome - but live capture is always a bit of a hassle that way. Hope that helps.

Looking here liveproductionblog.com/how-t … roduction/ it seems like you probably need the USB connection to get power to the gopro as well. Just one more connection to keep in mind.

Thanks a lot for the fast answer, but I have a Go Pro with just a micro USB in port (probably USB3) and the problem is that just TD can’t recognise the GoPro, other programs like iFoto or Go Pro App detect it …
I don’t know if what you told me wor just for a go pro with micro HDMI in or maybe can work also for me.
Anybody knows it?

A quick search on google suggests that to use a GoPro camera as a webcam you will need one of the models with HDMI, which the Session model does not have.
Examples:
community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/ … td-p/23468
reddit.com/r/gopro/comments … _a_webcam/

Just noticed the build you are running is over 6 months old. I highly recommend getting the latest official build for better performance and stability. We post updates often, it is always recommended to use the latest.

I dunno if you already sorted it out but to mimic this effect on the cheap I would use a marshal camera rather than a gopro

marshall-usa.com/optical/cameras/

obviously cheap is relative, but this is much better in lowlight than a gopro and has interchangeable lens’s

Hawtin uses sony robocams which are v expensive and require an operator or preprogramming to keyframe animation points…

you could mimic his robocam movements by making your camera input a texture and then using the camera in touch to zoom in and out of different areas of focus… IMHO that was one of the coolest parts of his show :sunglasses: